Avid amphib project for sale

21 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm looking to sell my avid amphib project (I'm open to offers & trades)  it will come with all associated parts and pieces I've collected & made for it.  Some of the highlights are a low time 80hp 912 with mount and exhaust that is fit to the amphib airframe, new IVO IFA 3 blade prop & new in box from avid flaparons.  The airframe is completely apart but in good shape the wings are in need of total overhaul straight but all the wood pieces should be replaced. A large amount of the "grunt" work is done with this project and the hard to find parts are included. Feel free to contact me with whatever questions or offers you have as I receive questions I'll update this post.

Posted

I'm looking to sell my avid amphib project (I'm open to offers & trades)  it will come with all associated parts and pieces I've collected & made for it.  Some of the highlights are a low time 80hp 912 with mount and exhaust that is fit to the amphib airframe, new IVO IFA 3 blade prop & new in box from avid flaparons.  The airframe is completely apart but in good shape the wings are in need of total overhaul straight but all the wood pieces should be replaced. A large amount of the "grunt" work is done with this project and the hard to find parts are included. Feel free to contact me with whatever questions or offers you have as I receive questions I'll update this post.

I seem to have forgotten where you are located.  Maybe some others would like to know?  EDMO

Posted

What is your basic price, without trades?

Posted

Ditto for both questions!

Posted

I seem to have forgotten where you are located.  Maybe some others would like to know?  EDMO

Minneapolis MN at Anoka county airport (KANE)

Posted

Ditto for both questions!

Minneapolis MN at Anoka county airport (KANE) 

Price wise I'm thinking around $12K (for forum members) I'll be asking more if it's being sold on barnstormers or ebay.  I'm open to reasonable offers and will discount for forum members that posted on my thread and we're helping me with the build or are contributing members to the forum.

1 person likes this

Posted

Why are you stopping your project? Have you come to problems with it?

Posted (edited)

Two new kids last December (Piper & Franklin) this spring my wife encouraged me to pick up a 4 seat airplane that we will all fit in & I'm  just running out of time in the best possible way!!! 

20160410_172248.jpg

Edited by lukemn

Posted

Few more pictures

20151122_160356.jpg

20151121_163604.jpg

20151121_153611.jpg

20151121_152836.jpg

Posted

Now that is a hell of a good Wife. What a great suggestion,

Posted

Willing to sell the 912 and accessories?

Posted

I like the names !

Posted

sent you a pm

Posted

Lukemn,  You still got the Catalina for sale?  Ted in Ontario, Canada is looking for one.   EDMO

Posted

'the wings are in need of total overhaul straight but all the wood pieces should be replaced"

hi is it still for sale? ,any more pic will be great,about above quote :the wings come assembled in a kit right?,is that mean that i'll have to get set of wings from someone  else?have not  heard of anyone replacing just wing ribs,    what kit is it-with wing tips or pylons?

sorry have so many questions,the complete list of the parts You have will be helpful ,how many hr on that Rotex and when was it last run?

thanks Ted

Posted (edited)

'the wings are in need of total overhaul straight but all the wood pieces should be replaced"

hi is it still for sale? ,any more pic will be great,about above quote :the wings come assembled in a kit right?,is that mean that i'll have to get set of wings from someone  else?have not  heard of anyone replacing just wing ribs,    what kit is it-with wing tips or pylons?

sorry have so many questions,the complete list of the parts You have will be helpful ,how many hr on that Rotex and when was it last run?

thanks Ted

Ted,  Unless the Catalina is different from all the other Avids and Kitfox kits, the wings come unassembled and consist of 4 tubular spars, wood ribs, fittings, struts and flaperons.  You have to assemble them.  If the wood has deteriorated, then the ribs need to be removed and replaced.   I have sent PMs to Lukemn and Tahoe Tim and have not received an answer from either of them.  I don't know if this has been sold or not - Barnstormers is down so I couldn't check there.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

useful information,didn't know they come like that since in all adds I've looked so far they are assembled....thanks EDMO 

Posted (edited)

useful information,didn't know they come like that since in all adds I've looked so far they are assembled....thanks EDMO 

Ted,  Unless there is a slight chance that Brett at Airdale has ribs, and guess he is mostly out of business, you would have to make new ribs.  I made ribs for my project by routing them to a Kitfox pattern I bought and I made  4 fixtures to glue the capstrips on, so it didn't take as long as only having one fixture.  I am going to check this coming week about getting my flap and aileron ribs (you wont need these) cut by water-jet company.   The older kits used 2116 glue (or some number close to that), and Kitfox changed to Hysol 9460 which seems to be better, and I like it better.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

didn't get any answer from Lukemn so don't know what the accual situation there is with wings

so the airdale is out of business?,that will explain why they didn;t answer my email

Ted

Posted

didn't get any answer from Lukemn so don't know what the accual situation there is with wings

so the airdale is out of business?,that will explain why they didn;t answer my email

Ted

Ted, technically it doesn't appear that Airdale is out of business. However it seems no one can ever get a hold of the owner and he doesn't return emails. It's been that way for a few years now. 

The ribs are not that difficult to build from scratch if that's what you are needing. As said before a router and a little time will produce everything you need at home for them. That is after you've made the form of course.

Posted

If this plane and my plane were combined you would have one real nice plane.My wings and your engine setup with all the best from the two you could have a total price of about $20 to 30,000. I would even though in my e81 professional converted to resell.Plus spare part from both