Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

My KFV after restoration

14 posts in this topic

Posted

Heres some pics of my restored KFV, built the trailer to from an old camper frame, still finishing that.

0903161924.jpg

0904161015.jpg

Posted (edited)

Al,  That trailer may be OK for short, slow hauls, but I would recommend lowering the tail until the wings are setting level or at a slight negative forward angle because of winds.   One important thing, is to make a brace that hooks to the fuselage and not let it rest on the tailspring which can be damaging if it bounces with the weight of the folded wings on it.  Maybe you have the braces for the root end of the wings, but I don't see it in the photo - you really need them too.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Yes your right Ed, with the trailer ball on the bumper of the truck the tounge sits to high, I plan on lowering that, and with the plane on it, I know how much now. Im making the root supports also. Ive got an idea of useing a sissors jack under the ramp to support the leaf spring, like I said, still working on the trailer, thanks for your suggestions!!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Al,  Some trailering flyers have made 2 support tabs that connect to the forward ventral fin attach tubing (is this same as the towbar attach?), and they take the bounce-weight off of the tailwheel by bolting/pinning the tabs to the fuselage.  Sounds like a simple fix.   I am guessing the the KF5 has the same tube across the tail as the earlier models.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Ed, I know the tubes your talking about, I think they are the same as the earlier foxes, mine are only about 1/4" on the inside diam. So I didnt think that would be a very strong contact to plane point, Im planing on a stationary jack under the main leaf spring body, then pull down from some where, Ive got some extra length on my spring clamp bolts, I could make a eye tab from there.

Posted (edited)

Ed, I know the tubes your talking about, I think they are the same as the earlier foxes, mine are only about 1/4" on the inside diam. So I didnt think that would be a very strong contact to plane point, Im planing on a stationary jack under the main leaf spring body, then pull down from some where, Ive got some extra length on my spring clamp bolts, I could make a eye tab from there.

1/4" bolt should easily hold approx. 175 lbs - isn't that what keeps your wings from coming off of the struts?  I guess that the crossbolt tabs work, since others have used it, but you have faith in what you plan - all you want to do is prevent the bounce and sudden jolt without bending anything.          I don't have a lot of trailering experience, unless you want to count hitting a tree limb with my fuselage setting on top of a short box trailer on a construction detour in the middle of nowhere Alaska/Canada !!!  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Those tubes on all the Avids I've had and Kitfoxes as well would take a 5/16" bolt.  Some had a bit of weld bubble in them and had to be cleaned out with a drill bit, but they were 5/16" ID.  I know the Kitfox 4s are 5/16" for sure.  JImChuk

Posted

That should be plenty strong then. An easy way to hold it down and near the bottom. Ill try it! Thanks!

Posted

By the way was the original purpose for the thru tubes on these planes only for pontoons supports?

Posted

Those cross through tubes are for mounting a trailer hitch onto the plane so it can be towed with a vehicle.  I hauled a Kitfox 4 for 1500 miles  (Texas to Mn) supported on these tubes.  JImChuk

Photo0587.jpg

Photo0581.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

There is another cross tube in front of these on mine - they were both used for the ventral fin when on floats.   Wonder if I missed anything important the last few days - Been gone from Friday until Sunday to attend GD wedding.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

If you look in my first picture of the yellow Kitfox 4, you see half of the second tube at the very edge (right side) of the picture.  JImChuk

Posted

There is another cross tube in front of these on mine - they were both used for the ventral fin when on floats.   Wonder if I missed anything important the last few days - Been gone from Friday until Sunday to attend GD wedding.   EDMO

yes they use the holes for mounting the ventral fin when on floats but the original purpose of them is for the hitch like Jim stated.  you would put the hitch on with the two pins and hook it to the car or truck then fold the wings and bring it home on its own gear.

Posted

Al,

Gorgeous plane!  looks like labor of love on the paint scheme but very nice!

:BC: