Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Built Heavy Hauler Wings

13 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello pilots, I'm considering to build Heavy Hauler Wings for my Avid Speedwing

So I could fly in Germany legally with a higher MTOW.

Where can I get a kit for it. Or is there a good guide to recreate the ribs and to get the other parts?

Especially here in Germany, I will probably not come easy to the parts. Or is there in Europe a dealer of Avid sells parts?

Greetings from Germany

Posted (edited)

There are no Avid dealers in Europe, and the only one in the U.S. is very hard or almost impossible to contact.  However, you might find some other sources for the spars, which will be about (2.5") 63.45mm outside diameter with a (.083") 2.1mm wall thickness of 6061T6 aluminum.  You can make the ribs out of 5 or 6mm plywood from Finland, or (I think) substitute Kitfox model 1, 2 or 3 ribs.  I don't know where you can get Avid wingtanks, but if you use the Kitfox ribs then their 6 or 13 gallon tanks should fit.   If you only put (.5") 12.5mm washout in the wings, you might get a little better cruise than using the original (1.5") 37.5mm washout.  Avid builders might give you more information on the strongest spar inserts to use, or you can buy some good ones from Just Aircraft which have to be made a tiny bit smaller in diameter to fit the .083"wall spars. 

Someone might be able to copy the HH wing part of the Avid manual if you don't have one, or it may be in the Avid manual section on this site?

Hope this helps a little.  From a Kitfox flyer,  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Ok but I need the Plan of the  ribs for the Heavy Hauler wing.  And how to built it.

To rebuilt the ribs is not the great problem. 

And I thing I can buy the  aluminium spare parts her. My Plan is to built tanks with aluminium. So I have never a Problem with a leak tank.

I cant find the pages wirh the Instruktion for builting tehw Wings.

Posted

And how I can rebuilt the Faperons?  

Posted

My first ride in an Avid was a B model with full length wings with speedster ribs.  It got off the ground very well, and did fly faster than Avids with the STOL  undercambered ribs.   If I was building a new set of wings, I would maybe go with the speedster wing ribs and everything else in them built to the Heavy Hauler wing plan.   If there is nothing wrong with your flaperons, you could perhaps move them out to the end rib on the new wings and add a tube spacer on the other end to make them long enough to get back to the fuselage.   Not sure they let you make those changes in Europe like you could here in the US..  JImChuk

Posted

Initially I like the speed wings, but It is in germany onely allowed MTOW 400kg.

that's why I will bulit Heavy Hauler Wings. MTOW 450kg  we are in Germany and an engeneer must check the wings  in order the plan und befor flying

And while I built the Wings I will fly with my Speedwings. So i can't use the Flaperons from my speedwings. 

I need exact plans from the ribs und the instructions to built the wing. I can remember that I have read the instructen her in the forum but now I can not find the Link.

greeting Martin

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

You will probably need someone to trace a HH/STOL rib for you to get the airfoil profile. Here is a discussion about the rib material:

There are some great EAA Homebuilder Videos about making ribs, example (check the related video links):

http://eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=1485308529

The wing measurements and construction drawings can be found here:

Forums > General Category > Avid Flyer General Hangar > Avid Build Manual > Avid Construction Manual > Manual part 2.pdf

Edited by dholly

Posted

A speed wing with wing extentions  on it uses the shorter flaperons I believe.  I seem to remember Leni talking about a friend of his that has that set up.  Memory is kind of hazy, but I think he said it turned just fine with good roll rate.  You could build the wings, and just bolt the flaperons on when you change from old wings to new.  Leave the flaperons close to the fuselage or move them out with an extention on the flaperon.  Start the wings, and the rest will fall into place by the time the wings are done.  That's my advice.  And worth every penny paid for it!  ;-)   JImChuk

Posted

Again, I agree with 1Avidflyer - damn, this is getting to be a habit!  If the inspector only has to check the wing construction, then after the wings are approved, you can use the old flaperons in any way you want.   At least that is what I would try.  EDMO

Posted

If he currently has a standard speed wing, the ribs are 18"on center. Will need to build a new STOL wing to reuse the existing flaperons.

If he currently has an Aerobat speed wing, the ribs are 12" on center.  Can build Heavy Hauler wings to reuse the existing flaoerons.

Posted

Doug,  I thought the flaperons all had hangers on 36" centers?  2 x 18" = 36", and 3 x 12" = 36" - why would the flaperons not fit both wings?  EDMO

Posted

Yessir Ed, you are correct. Thought my HH had an extra long rib, guess my memory ain't what it used to be!

Posted

Hello friends, I have tried 3 times to answer but the store every gon lost. I think it may not my IPAD.:o

Thanks dholly...thats what I look for: :BC:  Forums > General Category > Avid Flyer General Hangar > Avid Build Manual > Avid Construction Manual > Manual part 2.pdf

I'm trying to get defective wings in order to repair then. If I would also install new tanks and stringing everything

But the winter 2016 has to be very cold and long to create that here.

Greetings and thanks.