Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Stator problem again?!?

10 posts in this topic

Posted

I flew late last week and right after engine start I noticed my voltage was at 12V and not 14 like it normally is when the engine is running. I did a quick look over of the system and didn't see anything obvious. I didn't get a chance to properly troubleshoot it until tonight. At 3000 rpm I have 10V AC coming off both of my yellow wires from the stator. My Key West voltage regulator is putting out 12.7V but it should be a constant 13.8 and AC voltage should be at 27V at that rpm. Right not it's looking like another stator change. I had this happen 166 hrs ago and I replaced my stator with a used one. If anyone has any other ideas I am all ears at this point.

Here's my thread from last time.

Posted

Starter hanging up and pulling way too much juice or its got the blue head casting flaw issue where the case rubs the stator.  since this is your second stator fried in this case I would be looking for the tell tale arc Mark close to the bolt holes.  I'm pretty sure I put a pic up years ago when my brothers blue head did the same thing to me.

Posted

Take the yellow leads off the Key West and remeasure the AC coming off the stator with the Key West disconnected to rule out a bad regulator pulling down the AC voltage.  My fingers are crossed for you.  I got lucky a while ago, similar symptoms and it was just a bad Key West regulator.   

Posted (edited)

14V AC should be 27V at 3000 coming off the wires... little under 12 coming off the Key West should be 13.8. Looks like it's coming apart again.....same thing it did 172 hrs ago. Installed a used stator from RR. Good news is I just got a Rotax puller with the parts pile that came with the new plane.

Edited by C5Engineer

Posted (edited)

Joey,  I guess you may have plenty of spare parts now - I have a 75-hour stator on a 532 if that works - and I don't know how to remove it.  Got a starter and some coils too....Guess that's about it except the heavy parts that I will probably scrap or make a boat anchor?    EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

532 were point ingnition,no stator

Posted (edited)

532 were point ingnition,no stator

I was thinking that the stator was the stationary part of an alternator/generator, and was on the rear of the engine - or, is that the rotating part?   So how do these 2-smokes make electric and sparks?  Is the starter also a generator?  Honestly, I know nothing about them!  I have an alternator that puts smoke into the wires!  EDMO 

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Points open and close as the engine rotates. The stator is stationary with a rotating mass around it and it basically becomes a generator.

IMG_3950.JPG

IMG_3953.JPG

Posted (edited)

Yes,  I thought maybe I might have one of those on the back of my 532 - Guess I need to go look at it.  donno what else it might fit, if it has one.   Something tells me it may not be that simple?    Maybe I don't want to know?  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Hey Joey for what it is worth a Friend and neighbor of mine has the snowmobile stator rewound to have 2 ignition circuits as the 582 does but uses snowmobile CDIs, Triggers and coils. The spark is much hotter and it starts easier. He just put one on a 720 (Big Bored 670). The problem is alot of radio interference and alot of shielding is required. Just a thought as Snowmobile Parts are cheaper.