Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

4130 Tubing Tool

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Howdy folks,

I am going to try my hand and making my own 4130 tubing for engine mount.  I am wondering what type of tool do I need to bend and form the ends of 4130 in preparation for welding to bushings that bolt to aircraft.

Thanks

Posted

you shouldn't have to bend the tubing.  Use a joint jogger or tubing notcher to cut the joints.  I would also get some 4130 plate for making gussets etc.  Good luck, you know where to find me if needed :lol:

:BC:

Posted

A bench/pedestal grinder with a radiused wheel will fish-mouth the tubes just fine for welding.   Try to be accurate with the notching and fitting of the tube before welding and the finished product will be better. 

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

A bench top disc grinder is invaluable for fabricating, tube or plate.  A cheap but usable one can be had from harbor freight for less than $200.

http://t.harborfreight.com/12-inch-direct-drive-bench-top-disc-sander-43468.html?utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

Edited by Av8r3400
1 person likes this

Posted

+1 on the bench grinder.  I tried a tubing notcher but found the bench grinder to be so much easier.

Posted

My plan is to get the tubing how it needs to be and then tack weld.  Then I will send to professional to finish welding.  As in Leni. 

Posted

If you need to notch round tubing there is an EAA Hints for Hombuilders video by Earl Luce on how to do this with a hand grinder. Workable but kinda rough so I used the Tube Coping Calculator on www.metalgeek.com. The calculator allows you to enter all sorts of tubing dia. and angle variables, along with offsets if needed for different dia. tubing intersections, and print out a paper pattern with a cut line to wrap around your tubes for perfect coping every time. Very cool and eliminates a bunch or guesswork or trial and error hacking, as even simple 90* degree same size tube coping requires an interesting notch.

2 people like this

Posted

That is really great Doug, thanks for posting.

Posted

Yes thanks alot ,just starting the motor mounts for the RX1 so very good timing:BC:

Posted

How is the RX-1 FWF going?

Dave in IL