RX1 Motor Mount

13 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Just getting ready to start fabricating the motor mount  for the RX1  on the Avid +, and got a few questions. We are trying to figure out  if the prop flange should be parallel to the firewall .I also wondering about offset for thrust but figure if need be I could shim it with washers . I have done some measuring with the soob installation  and  the engine is diffenently angle upward from firewall. Anyone have any thoughts?

Edited by marshawk

Posted

Angle the engine to the left 3 degrees. For pitch angle make the prop. Flange paralel with the firewall that is if your firewall is set up to be perpindicular with flight angle. If you font know for sure the set the prop flange perpindicular to what ever is on the fuselage that is level during flight. If you make shim changes later to the engine mount you may have to modify your cowl

1 person likes this

Posted

Hey Teal, thanks alot for the info.The soob thats currently install has the prop flange pretty close to parallel with firewall but the when flying level the plane always flys tail low and needed back some back  pressure on the stick to keep it at a constant alt..Im sure the angle of the engine has quite a bit to to with it. I was told the bottom door sill on fuelage should be pretty close to level in level flight but the soob flys tail low in regards to that for sure.

1 person likes this

Posted

Side rails pictures. 

20170326_144645.jpg

Posted

Looks good,one thing to remember is that you leave as much room as possible for getting the engine out after the motor mount is built.

1 person likes this

Posted

Why such large dia. tubing?

Posted

Found this picture on Facebook which helps to explain the large diameter tube.

IMG_0186.JPG

Posted

Found this picture on Facebook which helps to explain the large diameter tube.

IMG_0186.JPG

do you know anyone who csn fabricate the motor mount? 

Posted

Glen David (AKA flying wrench) fabricates these mounts. His  phone number is (623) 256-4115

Posted

The large diameter tubing gives more welding area to weld the tabs that bolt to the engine. Here is a picture of a completed mount with all the bushings and bolts. The two "Y" pieces will have to be welded to the bottom of the fuselage. If your serious about a mount give me a call 623-256-4115 glen

IMG_0039.JPG

Posted

Thanks for that explanation Glen, and the pics. Is there a source for exhausts yet?

Posted

My thought too.

Posted (edited)

That might be a better way.   But FWIW, the way pictured above has been done in numerous conversions (including two widely followed Yellow Highlanders) with no reports of problems.

Edited by Yamma-Fox
1 person likes this