Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

oil pressure/oil temp gauge

17 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm in the process of building a new instrument panel for the Avid with the Jabiru engine.  I'm wanting to get rid of some extra gauges, combining EGT and CHT.  Also oil temp and oil pressure.  Anyone got any suggestions on a reasonable dual gauge?  I've looked at westac already.  Would maybe go with an EIS type system, if I found a good one for a reasonable price.  Any ideas??? JImChuk

Posted

I'm using the MGL E1 EMS. It would do what you're looking for plus RPM, settable hour meter and voltage monitor in a 3-1/8" round instrument. You can configure alarms as well. It's been very reliable and accurate for me.  The also have an E3 EMS with the same functionality in a smaller package. 

Posted

I replaced the Westach 4-way in my KF4 with a MGL E1 EMS as well. Other than the short acclimation from needle to digital, I echo all of the previous positive comments for this gauge. It was a cost effective option in my mind.

Posted

Thanks for the info guys.  I do kind of like the MGL E1 now that I've looked at it.  Sure could make lots of room on the panel if I put one of those in and got rid of what it will replace.  If anyone has a good used one laying around, let me know....  Thanks,  JImChuk

Posted

I've been doing some digging on the net, and found this place in England.  Seems legit to me, I got a fairly fast reply from the guy when I asked about prices and shipping to the US.  Dealers in the US want $345 plus shipping for this unit, He says in his email that the cost would be $237 to me after shipping fees, but before any custom fees if there are any.   Any body ever get something similar shipped to the USA from England and has some idea of the problems possible with customs.  He says he will ship with DHL.  Just got another email in reply to my further questions about shipping and he says he ships to the USA often with no issues.   What are your thoughts?  Looks like I would save about $150 if things go good......  JImChuk

http://www.parts4aircraft.com/mgl-velocity-e1-c2x9383477

Posted

I used to have an online rc airplane business and I imported depron foam from the uk.  never had an issue with DHL or FedEx.  customs charges were negligible.

:BC:

Posted

"Online RC Airplane Business".  Is that what you kids are calling it these days?

Posted

You can call it what ever you want to lol.  it was making 5 bucks on the dollar till the dollar tanked against the pound.

Posted

Well I bit the bullet, ordered the MGL E1 from the outfit in England.  They do paypal, and it came to $235.97 plus what ever customs end up being.  Still can't figure why they are so much cheaper than a US seller.  They all show $345 plus shipping.  After I bought it and paid for it, I've gotten an email telling me when he will ship out the gauge, so it all seems like it's on the up and up.  On a side note, yesterday, I had put an add on barnstormers looking for a used E1.  A guy saw the add, and clicked on "see my other adds" button and saw I had an add looking for an IVO prop.  That add was a month old.  Long story short, this morning he shipped me his prop for half the price of a new one.  The prop I ordered from IVO is still a month out, and they said they would cancel the order if I wanted them to.   Nice to have a tail wind once in a while.   Hope it's not pushing me into a thunderstorm ;-)   JImChuk

3 people like this

Posted

Well I still have that tail wind.  The used IVO prop showed up about a half hour ago, and I got a tracking # for the MGL E1 engine monitor this morning.  So far I will be about $30 less for both, than the new IVO which I just canceled.  It was still a month out according to IVO 3 days ago.  I did get a call on my barnstormers add of a MGL E1 this morning.  It is an older model, it has 4 buttons across the bottom, rather than the new style which has 2 buttons, and a knob between them.   Guy was going to send me pics showing it powered up.  He got it used as well and never used it as he sold the project he was going to put it in.  He wants $150 + $10 for shipping, and I told him that if I didn't take it, I could give the info for it on the aircraft sites I'm on.   Not sure what I'll do, that does seem like a good price and would have bought it for sure if I didn't have the new one on the way.  Anyone else interested in it?  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Well I still have that tail wind.  The used IVO prop showed up about a half hour ago, and I got a tracking # for the MGL E1 engine monitor this morning.  So far I will be about $30 less for both, than the new IVO which I just canceled.  It was still a month out according to IVO 3 days ago.  I did get a call on my barnstormers add of a MGL E1 this morning.  It is an older model, it has 4 buttons across the bottom, rather than the new style which has 2 buttons, and a knob between them.   Guy was going to send me pics showing it powered up.  He got it used as well and never used it as he sold the project he was going to put it in.  He wants $150 + $10 for shipping, and I told him that if I didn't take it, I could give the info for it on the aircraft sites I'm on.   Not sure what I'll do, that does seem like a good price and would have bought it for sure if I didn't have the new one on the way.  Anyone else interested in it?  JImChuk

I am interested in the monitor.  Does it have any probes with it?  PM me contact info if your not going to buy it Mr!

Posted

Hi Leni,  not probes, but it does have the jacks/plugs that go into the back of the instrument.  Nice thing about the MGL, from what I read, it can use just about any probe and be set for it.  I figure I can use all my own probes as is.  Still not sure what I'll do about it though.  I did just get back from a short flight in the Kitfox with the new/used 3 blade  IVO 68" prop.  Performance didn't seem much if any different than the 64" three blade I had on there.  The 2 blade warp 70" with taper tips was considerably better than either IVO.  Not near as smooth though.  Now I'm rethinking the whole thing......  At least I got a good price on the used IVO.  I would be a bit bummed if I had just put on the new IVO I had ordered at about twice the cost, and then find out what I did in my last flight.  JImChuk

2 people like this

Posted

Not always tailwinds, first pic is my cat yesterday after knocking down a bunch of 2 - 3" poplar trees/brush alongside the new part of the runway.  I had finished up, backed around about 90 degrees, when I went forward to head home, I thought the left side clutch hung up cause the way the cat pulled to one side.  I even pulled the clutch lever and let it snap forward to release.  Then I happened to look at the track, but of course by then it was way to late.  Never have spun one this far off.  Looks like the O ring in the track tensioner let go just then and I didn't notice the track get loose.  It blows that O ring every once in a while, and I usually am always glancing at the tracks to see if they go loose.  I do have a front end loader, that should help to lift and pull the track around.  Sure could use a second person though.  On another note, I put the 2 blade warp back on the Kitfox 1 today, and it performs considerably better than the IVO.  Climb out was better, and speed at cruise better also.  Just not near as smooth as the IVOs though.  Leni, haven't heard from the guy with the MGL engine monitor, he was supposed to send me pictures of it yesterday.  Maybe he still will.  My English one is on the way according to the tracking #.   Had a friend stop by this afternoon in his Wilga.  Boy is that thing loud.  If I took the muffler off the D6 and was pushing for all it was worth at full throttle, I think it would sound a lot like the Wilga.  Neat though anyway. 

Photo0890.jpg

Photo0891.jpg

Posted

ouch!  at least you were not in a mud hole when you tossed it!  OK, well if you hear back from him pass him on my way if you don't mind!

Posted

I'll probably give him a call tomorrow to see what's up.  Jim

1 person likes this

Posted

Leni,  I called the guy up with the MGL engine monitor, and he said it didn't power up when he tried to do it.  Wonder why he didn't at least let me know that.  I guess neither of us will get it.  Hard to beat that British price for the new one though.  That is if it comes......  Back to having tailwinds with the cat and the thrown track.  Just under an hour and I was back in gear.  Took another hour to fix the blown seal in the track tensioner, but it's fixed now.  Snapped a few pics as I went along.  JImChuk

Photo0893.jpg

Photo0894.jpg

Photo0895.jpg

Photo0896.jpg

Photo0897.jpg

Photo0898.jpg

Photo0899.jpg

Photo0900.jpg

1 person likes this