Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Kitfox 1 build

79 posts in this topic

Posted

Powered up the electrical system today everything works great, Not finished, need to wire the radio yet and still waiting on CHT senders, Also spent today cutting the lexan, So far it is all going smoothly,

100_1065.JPG

100_1066.JPG

100_1074.JPG

100_1075.JPG

100_1076.JPG

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Might want to save some room for an oil catch bottle for the crankcase breather vent to go into.  Other wise it will end up on your belly.  Mine was right where your regulator is.....  Every thing looks nice though.  JImChuk                                       

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

looking sweet mr!!

:BC:

Posted

Looks great, what is the thickness of your Lexan?

Posted

Looks great, what is the thickness of your Lexan?

Posted

TJay - not sure if that is just an effect from the dark butt ribs, or is that tinted sheet or did you apply tint film?

Posted

Very nice looking work, and that panel is really sharp!

Posted

TJay - not sure if that is just an effect from the dark butt ribs, or is that tinted sheet or did you apply tint film?

Grey Lexan from Wicks,

Posted

Build a door today,

100_1077.JPG

100_1079.JPG

100_1078.JPG

5 people like this

Posted

Nice work.

Posted

Have you considered adding an operable top window frame like FredStork? I always thought that would be nice to have.

1 person likes this

Posted

That would be cool but I don't think I need it,

Posted

Hey TJ.. have you ever heard of or tried LAYZR tungsten?  It replaces the 2% thoriated and is not radioactive.  It actually welds much better than the 2%, holds the point way longer even when you stick it and it will take way more heat than the 2% will.  I have been playing with it here at work and its pretty incredible.  It's cheaper than 2% as well.  I was running 1/8" at 300 amps on the roll out wheel and couldn't get it to flake or melt.  I also did 40+ scratch starts at 20 amps and 150 amps with no tip degradation at all.  If you do much GTAW welding you may want to check into it!

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks for the tip! Order some today.

Mark

1 person likes this

Posted

Grey Lexan from Wicks,

Spendy stuff. After getting a free shipping email from Wicks last week I bit the bullet and bot a sheet. Just was not 100% happy with the film even though it is made specifically for plastics. Bummer because I really wanted the film's UV and heat protection along with lower light transmission.

Posted (edited)

Cadillac Plastics, or other companies, have local dealers in some places, and have a better selection of tinted/colored Lexan/Plexi sheets than the Aircraft suppliers.   I think Cadillac still posts color charts on their site.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Got the wings on this weekend, Had to build new jury struts to match my bigger struts but I got her.

100_1082.JPG

100_1083.JPG

Posted

Looking good!

I would seriously look at replacing the springs on that gear.  You don't have much travel on them before they compress and your going metal to metal.  Really bad things have happened to most people using this gear when they bounce or hit a bump.

Anxious to see how she does with the jab on it!

1 person likes this

Posted

Looking good!

I would seriously look at replacing the springs on that gear.  You don't have much travel on them before they compress and your going metal to metal.  Really bad things have happened to most people using this gear when they bounce or hit a bump.

I second that statement!!

IMG_4708.JPG

IMG_4718.JPG

Posted (edited)

TJay,  Maybe they/Leni can tell you where they got the rounded springs with more space between coils - They may have posted the photo and info -    I think Leni made the slots longer, but not sure.   Joey changed to an ex$pensive totally different gear design.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

What is your plane for the cowl on this?  The standard Kitfox round cowl or something else?

Posted

What is your plane for the cowl on this?  The standard Kitfox round cowl or something else?

Standard

100_1039.JPG

Posted

Looking good!

I second that statement!!

IMG_4708.JPG

IMG_4718.JPG

Is this the Airdale Gear or High Wing gear?  Thinking Airdale from the step post, but I could be wrong.  I have been very happy with the travel on mine (Highwing).  Have had some pretty good landings with lots of travel.  Have never bottomed out, though am concerned by the post.

Posted

mine is high wing too, I looked for those springs on ebay that leni has but I never could find them so I left it as is, 

Posted

I think Leni listed the spring company where he bought them - donno about them being on ebay.  Send him a PM if you want to change them before damaging your gear.  EDMO