Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Kitfox 1 build

79 posts in this topic

Posted

I still think that bungees in place of the steel springs would be better.  More easily adjustable with additional wraps, certainly lighter.  Haven't seen many made that way though for the Kitfoxes and Avids.   JImChuk

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

TJay,  AkFlyer made a post in General Hanger on 18 Jan 2015:  "using Skidoo 325# springs - think the die springs are 425#."  You can look up the thread.  Donno if that is what he finally used - need to ask him.  I hope I am not talking out of place here?

I think Jim has a point - Pipers and others used bungee cords instead of springs.   PIA to replace every 5 years!  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

This was the first version of Airdale. The 2nd set an additional brace between the front and rear leg, heavier wall tubing, and a lighter spring. I never installed that set until I discovered the Shockmonster suspension system. My new plane has the high country gear and it's a totally different design. It uses bungees on the cabanes like a Cub uses.

IMG_4401.JPG

Edited by C5Engineer

Posted

The springs I am using as off a cough cough.. damnit.. skidoo.  503190854  They work great but you have to find a rubber bushing for them to ride on.  I will be playing with various ideas to make these work easily in the future. 

Jim,

I have been leaning towards your idea as well.  if you have the piper tool for changing bungees its easy to do but they are made a bit different than the ones we use.   I have been thinking of polymer bushings in place of springs a lot like the AOSS gear used on cubs.  That will probly be a bit more expensive though so a simple elegant way would be to use bungees like the cub did for so many years.  If I can work some sort of hydrosorb action into it that would be better.  I dont think we all want to spend the money Joey has on his set up, but by far he has the best money can buy for an avid or KF right now.

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

My thoughts are to not use the heavy bungees like cubs did, but rather 3/8" or 1/2"  and take the right number of wraps to match what you need for suspension.  JImChuk

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

That High Country gear that Joey has on the new plane uses bungees - any more info, photos, or dimensions on it?   Looks like if you shortened the cabanes you would have a taller, but slightly narrower, gear?   Joey's Air Force hanger is getting as crowded as Dougs and Jims!   EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Someone out there must have tried the rubber donut stack?

This setup should work well as is it won't bottom out and would be significantly lighter than the die springs.

My springs are starting to sag and there is a possibility they May bottom out,so I am looking for options.

A member on this site? Appears to be using this setup.

Maybe worth starting another thread?

1 person likes this

Posted

Does anyone know the Durometer reading for donuts for gears, like on Kitfox-Aerotrek nose gear, Ercoupe-Mooney gears, or the rubber to make your own?  EDMO

Posted (edited)

the hours are racking up got my console  built and carpet in this weekend,

100_1091.JPG

100_1087.JPG

100_1089.JPG

Edited by TJay

Posted

Really liking your build. Just a nice clean machine!

Posted

Looking better all the time.  Wish I could get something done on my Avid project.  I'm kind of in a lull on it.   Weather has been to nice to spend in the garage.  65 F today in northern Mn.  Not a record, but has to be close.   JImChuk

Posted (edited)

TJay,  Any problem with stick swing hitting your leg toward center with that wide console?  I had been thinking of a narrower one because of that.   Guess it isn't tall enough to matter tho?  Is there a way to get to your flap handle bolt to adjust friction?   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

sat in it didn't have any issue with the stick, its only 4" wide also just take a few screws out and I can access everything under there, I think it is all turning out great,  just as it was in my head the day I Met Jim to pick it up,

Posted

Looks great - hoping you get a filter wirh your gopro so you get some good videos for us soon - I will try to reroute any snow scheduled for Missouri so you can get it on skis soon!  :BC:  EDMO

Posted

Absolutely awesome build. You better take this thing to a EAA show after you are done because I see an award written all over this one. Thank you for sharing pictures. Every pics makes all of us want to go out to and work on a project, shine up our flying birds, or spend just a little more time making that part perfect.

Posted

I sure hope so!  Beautiful build.  We could sure use some nice planes like this at OSH!

Posted

Thanks for the comments, but as much as i hate to say it, she may be ugly for the first 40 hrs of flight time, I'm considering installing my VLS that is just sitting on the shelf.  Up on the skylight I welded a couple brackets in early on in the build, 

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the comments, but as much as i hate to say it, she may be ugly for the first 40 hrs of flight time, I'm considering installing my VLS that is just sitting on the shelf.  Up on the skylight I welded a couple brackets in early on in the build, 

What's a VLS?  "Vertical Landing System"?  Something like a BRS?  Excuse my ignorance!   They have harvested all the corn and cut the stalks - you shouldn't have any problem landing on all that cleared ground - just follow the rows...   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

What's a VLS?  "Vertical Landing System"?  Something like a BRS?  Excuse my ignorance!   They have harvested all the corn and cut the stalks - you shouldn't have any problem landing on all that cleared ground - just follow the rows...   EDMO

(Vertical Launch System) Made by BRS you just mount it on top of your plane,

1 person likes this

Posted

Okay I'll do it. Gotta ask why? There's never been a recorded structural failure of these unlike most others. If the fan stops turning unless you are over water or trees your better off flying it in. Sure you have your reasons but just curious.

3 people like this

Posted

Great looking console

Posted

Okay I'll do it. Gotta ask why? There's never been a recorded structural failure of these unlike most others. If the fan stops turning unless you are over water or trees your better off flying it in. Sure you have your reasons but just curious.

Well I was thinking of having it on there for the first 40hrs, they do make you feel safer during phase 1 test flying, mostly because it is sitting on the shelf rotting away, as for selling it,  there really not worth anything to anybody else, my other thought was to contact BRS and see if they would turn it into a soft pack for me, then I would just stick it in the baggage area, well see what happens over the winter,

Posted

Looking better all the time.  Wish I could get something done on my Avid project.  I'm kind of in a lull on it.   Weather has been to nice to spend in the garage.  65 F today in northern Mn.  Not a record, but has to be close.   JImChuk

Dang, with those temperatures you'll probably stay North this winter!

Posted

It will be harder to leave if it's still warm, but the condo is booked for 12-1  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

Started wiring up my radio today what a bunch of wires, had to make a nice little mounting plate for the headset jacks, think they will work nice there, not sure why it looks so dirty in the picture, must be a reflection, anyway enjoy,

100_1101.JPG

Edited by TJay
1 person likes this