Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Bally's Bomber

8 posts in this topic

Posted

I don't think this has been mentioned here before.  Last word is he is ready for a DAR inspection.  Amazing project!

http://www.theballybomber.com/

1 person likes this

Posted

WOW, what an amazing project! A real labor of love to be sure, can't help but wonder if the guy is still married. Well, it's only single seat so maybe we have a clue, lol. Can you imagine watching the reactions when that thing drops into the local pancake breakfast?

Posted

It is amazing no doubt.  I bet it will be a big hit at any watermelon/pumpkin drop event also!

They've had sessions on it at Oshkosh for the last several years.   A friend of his does the sessions, he doesn't like talking about himself.

I attended one session several years ago, and they talked about him trying to spin the aluminum engine cowlings.  He didn't want to use composite since the originals were aluminum.  Made a rig out of an old tractor, used the rear axle as the spin lathe.  He finally gave up after multiple (expensive - aluminum ain't cheap in that size) attempts.  The radius on the 1/3 scale was just too tight, and they'd split when he was about 3/4 of the way done.

Mark

Posted

I would be afraid to fly it after putting that much time into it.  JImChuk

Posted

What engines?  EDMO

Posted

I think they are Hirth 4 cylinder engines, but can't find the place I saw it.

Mark

Posted

I have been following this build for years.  It is incredible the amount of time and work he has put into this.  One hell of a labor of love!

:BC: