Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

First Flight in Avid / Speeds/ Temps???

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi, I just bought an Avid Mark IV with a 582 and am about to make take my first flight.  I've been doing a lot of taxiing since I don't have any tail-wheel time and am comfortable so far.  

Can anyone tell me what the operating temps should read, CH and water temp?  Also What should my approach speed be for landing and flare?  What is the stall speed?

The previous owner said he flew by "feel" and never looked at the gauges.  

Thanks

Posted

Every one of these planes are different. Numbers are a guide at best. Please google 582 operating manual and read up on the limitations. It's all easily found online.  As far as speeds go before your first approach you need to go up to altitude and get very comfortable with slow flight. Finally please please don't attempt to fly without some TW instruction. I've seen FAR too many of these planes wrecked from ground loops.

2 people like this

Posted

I bet we can get a hundred seconds on all of that Joey.  Find an instructor and put in the hours to get the TW indorsement it will save you a bunch of money and some explaining to your local grumpy FAA guy.  Also be cautious about letting an instructor that is not experienced in an Avid or Kitfox fly your airplane.  If you let us know where you live there is probably someone within a couple hours drive that can get you up in their plane and talk you thru what to expect but please get that indorsement first.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

I bet we can get a hundred seconds on all of that Joey.  Find an instructor and put in the hours to get the TW indorsement it will save you a bunch of money and some explaining to your local grumpy FAA guy.  Also be cautious about letting an instructor that is not experienced in an Avid or Kitfox fly your airplane.  If you let us know where you live there is probably someone within a couple hours drive that can get you up in their plane and talk you thru what to expect but please get that indorsement first.

Last word, after agreeing with the statements of the others - DO NOT attempt to fast taxi !!!  Get the TW endorsement first.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO
2 people like this

Posted

Believe it or not an Avid is considered a "High Performance" airplane. Instructors see 65hp and think of a Champ or J3 cub. Things happen SO fast in these airplanes compared to anything else I've flown. Takeoffs take 3-4 seconds solo. They take 3-4 minutes it seems in a Champ.

3 people like this

Posted

Believe it or not an Avid is considered a "High Performance" airplane. Instructors see 65hp and think of a Champ or J3 cub. Things happen SO fast in these airplanes compared to anything else I've flown. Takeoffs take 3-4 seconds solo. They take 3-4 minutes it seems in a Champ.

+1, my 20,000hr jet pilot CFII ran my KF off into the weeds and bent the gear.

Be -very- careful if you have no time in type or TW experience.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

+1, my 20,000hr jet pilot CFII ran my KF off into the weeds and bent the gear.

Be -very- careful if you have no time in type or TW experience.

Just remember the Aviation Rule:  "Takeoffs are optional - Landings are mandatory!" 

Don't even think about taking off until you are qualified to land a very touchy taildragger!   Concrete is worse than grass, and cross-winds are a no-go until you have some TD time with an instructor, otherwise you can probably sell or buy some salvaged parts on this site, because you either don't have insurance or it wont pay when they find out that you are not signed off for TD!  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Thanks for your advice.  I'm going to resist the urge to teach myself!  Do you know of an instructor near Florence Oregon?  It's central oregon coast.  Ron 

2 people like this

Posted

0913161836a.jpg