Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

912ul shut down problem

6 posts in this topic

Posted

We started and ran my 912ul with no problems, after a couple minutes we went to shut it down at idle, 2500 rpm, carbs still need adjustment,  anyway after shuting off ingnition switch, and master switch, we shut of mags, the engine wouldnt shut off and ran ruff, after closing fuel valve it finaly stopped. Anyone ever have this happen, advise, sugjestions? Thanks!

Posted (edited)

P-leads not grounded? (thru ignition switch?)  Automotive type ignition switch?(wont work),  ???   Did you happen to do a mag check while you had it running?    EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Need more information.

What type of ignition switches do you have?  How is it wired?  More data needed....  

Posted

Well, havent dove into the wire checking yet, bad ground seams to be the issue. The mags ran fine on either one, little noticable difference in rpm. Could be something minor, I will check the wires for defects on conections, thanks! Not sure about the ingnition switches yet. Ill check them as well. 

Posted

There was a similar topic on the Rotax owners forum a couple years back. Here are a couple helpful suggestions:

Check the two ground wires that go into your ignition switch. They may be loose or come off. It may be where the ground wire(s) are attached up at the module plugs too.

Sounds like you have a loose ground wire or bad mag switch. Does the engine lose some RPMs when you turn the switch fully off? About the same as a mag check drop? If so, it is probably one module that is not being grounded when switched off. You might also try unplugging and replugging the module plugs. A bad connection there can cause a loss of grounding.

I will bet what ever you like that it is the grounding wire on the modules.

The outer sheath will look ok, but the inner wire will be broken.

Pull the wires gently and they will stretch.

look in the heavy maintenance manual in chapter 74-00-00, section 3.13 wiring diagrams. fig. 74-19 is for older engines with a separate grounding wire plug. fig. 74-20 is for newer engines with the grounding wire in the module plug.

If yours is the newer type, unplug the large module plug which connects each module to the alternator. Place your mag switches in the OFF position. Touch the multimeter to the BROWN wire terminal in the plug half that goes to the alternator. (I think that is the male plug). Touch the other multimeter lead to ground anywhere on the engine block. With the mag switch in the OFF position, you should read a completed circuit. With the mag switch in the ON or RUN position, you should read an open circuit. That will tell you if the problem is in the mag switches or switch wiring. That is where it usually is.

If you have the older wiring setup, there will be a single pin plug just for the brown ground wire but the check is done the same way.

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks for all your good advise! You all gave me a dirrection tp look at. It turns out after some time spent following wires and studying the wire diagrams from the build manual, checking conections on the switches, it was a bad wire conection, still in the conection plug on a mag modual, the brown wire, so that mag couldnt be shut down!!! I learn somthing every day, its rumning like a Swiss watch now after synchronizeing carbs.Thanks again!!