Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Bandit with Subaru engine

44 posts in this topic

Posted

Down to one aircraft!  Sold the Tomahawk.  Up to 21 of my 40 hours I have to be a test pilot on the Bandit.  The more I get used to it, the more I enjoy it.  Thinking seriously of taking it to Sun n Fun this year.  Anybody else going?

Posted (edited)

Down to one aircraft!  Sold the Tomahawk.  Up to 21 of my 40 hours I have to be a test pilot on the Bandit.  The more I get used to it, the more I enjoy it.  Thinking seriously of taking it to Sun n Fun this year.  Anybody else going?

Well Don, You made me feel better - There have been lots of Tomahawk parts on ebay recently and I was thinking maybe you had totaled yours and that was the reason you got the new plane - Enjoy the hours in SuberBandit - I don't go to SnF.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I would like to go but the weather usually doesn't work from here to there that time of the year.

Posted

Nope, Ed, no wreck.  Had mixed feelings seeing it go.  Ten years in that relationship.  Almost like an old girlfriend.  Main reason for going to SnF is the deals from the manufacturers.  Think I can put in glass and still have room for my iFly if they can get the price down to a reasonable fortune.  Couldn't even think about it in the Tomahawk.  Certified bs, you know.  I do love the fact I can do whatever I want to on this bird.  Believe I can put glass, a real radio, tx and a iFly gizmo ln the panel for around 4 grand.  We'll see in April.  By the way, finally figured out I have 10-gal tanks rather than the 7 per side I was told I had.  Do wing tanks stretch??

Posted

Don,  I wonder if you have the aluminum 10 gallon tanks?  I just read about a Kitfox Speedster 4 that had them.  I donno who makes them.   Yes, the GREAT thing about Exp is that you can do most anything you want to with them - No TCDS BS!   EDMO

Posted

Put the bird down on the runway the other day, slowed to a crawl, pushed the rudder pedal to turn onto the taxiway - - plane just kept on rolling straight.  No front wheel steering.  Maneuvered back to the hangar using rudder and prop blast and found the AN4-33 bolt tying the rudder column to the steering gear had BROKEN in half.  First AN bolt I've ever seen broken!  The head markings on it were a "c" and "s".  Couldn't help but wonder if rather than AN it was "Chinese Standard".

Posted

Did it break or wear through?  Do the parts rotate around this bolt as a pivot?

Posted

Nope, just plain broke. Only have 26 hours on the bird at the moment. It's the bolt that runs through the steering tube and connects to the front wheel (tri-gear)steering mechanism.  Has tension on it, but no pivoting or wearable usage.  The tube pivots and the bolt simple pulls the wheel in one direction or another.  I'll take a pic of it tomorrow and post it.  See if anyone else has had that problem (although not many of us has the tri-gear).

Posted

Nope, just plain broke. Only have 26 hours on the bird at the moment. It's the bolt that runs through the steering tube and connects to the front wheel (tri-gear)steering mechanism.  Has tension on it, but no pivoting or wearable usage.  The tube pivots and the bolt simple pulls the wheel in one direction or another.  I'll take a pic of it tomorrow and post it.  See if anyone else has had that problem (although not many of us has the tri-gear).

I would like to see some photos and dimensions posted on the entire Avid tri-gear mechanism - We have a member or three that needs one.   EDMO

Posted

What oil do you guys use in the E81?  I'm about a half-quart low and probably need to figure out what I'm using before I need a quart?  The log book just had "oil" and no brand name.  (32 hours finished of the required 40 now)

Posted (edited)

Don,  My engine former owner used Castrol JTX 10W30 in the winter in Canada - Summer oil was JTX 20W50.  That was a few years ago, so there might be better oils available now.  I have heard that there are some motorcycle oils that contain more (zinc?) and supposed to be better for cam lobe lube -   really know nothing on it.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

Learning something every flight..... I just topped off my stated 7-gal tanks with 22 gallons of AvGas.  Still had 1/2 inch in each tank prior to fill.  Hmmmmmm.

Edited by donhallwr
left out word

Posted (edited)

7 gallon tanks would be about 17" wide.  14 gallon tanks are about 34" wide.  Should have no problem feeling/seeing where the tanks are or aren't. Here is a MK IV heavy hauler wing showing 14 gallon wing tank.   JImChuk

Photo0062.jpg

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted (edited)

Learning something every flight..... I just topped off my stated 7-gal tanks with 22 gallons of AvGas.  Still had 1/2 inch in each tank prior to fill.  Hmmmmmm.

Sounds like time to refigure your W/B - 84 more lbs in wings should offset the Soob a little too?  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I use Mobil 1 15-50W in mine but the original Stratus engine developer recommended Castrol 20-50W  He thought the synthetic oils damaged the seals.  I asked Mikal Templeman (who bought Stratus) about it and he was of the opinion that the full synthetics like Mobil 1 were fine.  I need the synthetic in mine to be able to start it easier in the winter; plus the Mobil 1 20-50W has increased zinc as well. I have over 500 hours on mine with no problems.

Posted (edited)

I use Mobil 1 15-50W in mine but the original Stratus engine developer recommended Castrol 20-50W  He thought the synthetic oils damaged the seals.  I asked Mikal Templeman (who bought Stratus) about it and he was of the opinion that the full synthetics like Mobil 1 were fine.  I need the synthetic in mine to be able to start it easier in the winter; plus the Mobil 1 20-50W has increased zinc as well. I have over 500 hours on mine with no problems.

I have never used Mobil 1 in anything, but I am not saying anything bad about it.  I remember when it first came out the rumor about it was that:  "If you didn't have oil leaks before, then you would have them with Mobil 1" - Probably referred to old Chevy and Ford engines more than Subaru?  ;<)   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Mobile is all that I have ever run in my air cooled Harley's, Always loved that stuff,

Posted

And if it wont leak out of a Harley, it probably wont leak out of anything.  ;-)  (the bike that marks it's spot)   JImChuk

Posted

I would like to see some photos and dimensions posted on the entire Avid tri-gear mechanism - We have a member or three that needs one.   EDMO

Posted pics of the tri-gear in the tech section.

1 person likes this