Rotary valve oil overflow

33 posts in this topic

Posted

There is a possibility that the reservoir may be plumbed backwards. I never noticed the tube projecting from one of the hose connections before. I looked at another old tank sitting in the hangar and noticed the in and out markings. I cannot see markings on the tank that is mounted due to the bracket. I am going to pull it out to have a look which means I will have to drain it again. If it is backwards, it has been that way for a long time (probably around 100 hours running time on this engine and a couple hundred on the532 before it).

There's no "backwards" or forwards.  As others have indicated, this is merely a reservoir to maintain a constant oil bath for the RV.  Actually, any little bottle will work that you can adapt.  I fact, that little tube in mine, I pulled it out.  I think bleeding the inverted mounted engine is easier w/out that lil tube in the resevoir.

Posted (edited)

There is a possibility that the reservoir may be plumbed backwards. I never noticed the tube projecting from one of the hose connections before. I looked at another old tank sitting in the hangar and noticed the in and out markings. I cannot see markings on the tank that is mounted due to the bracket. I am going to pull it out to have a look which means I will have to drain it again. If it is backwards, it has been that way for a long time (probably around 100 hours running time on this engine and a couple hundred on the532 before it).

There's no "backwards" or forwards.  As others have indicated, this is merely a reservoir to maintain a constant oil bath for the RV.  Actually, any little bottle will work that you can adapt.  I fact, that little tube in mine, I pulled it out.  I think bleeding the inverted mounted engine is easier w/out that lil tube in the resevoir.

OK - For anyone who wants to know:  Dav8or,   Some not-so-good news:  I pulled the plastic thingy off today and it looks like someone split both tubes with a razor knife to get the hoses off sometime in the past - guess it still worked, but I would not use it knowing that.  Edit:  Looking at this later, I found a razor-cut-mark in the lower right side as shown in the photo - don't think it goes all the way thru, but more to worry about.   

Each fitting is marked with an arrow on the side of the container - actually, the container is marked on both sides - the one under the fill cap side is marked with an arrow pointing DOWN, like an outlet - the other fitting on the side away from the cap has an arrow pointing UP, like an inlet, and has a small tube inside sticking up into the top of the container.   I doubt if my photo will be clear enough to show anything.   EDMO 

IMG_1657.JPG

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Thank you for checking. I will probably just save up for a new one.

Dan

Posted

Looks like a small air bubble worked its way out over night. Refilled to the line and ran it for 30 minutes. Only a slight rise in oil level on shutdown. I will check it tomorrow but I think the seal change has solved my problem and it is ready to fly again.

Thanks,

Dan

1 person likes this

Posted

Posted (edited)

FWIW I  should clarify my above statement.  

I had two issues when installing my motor that I got back from a Rotax Rick overhaul last winter.  One was bleeding the cooling system.  That was due to fact I had the lines running backwards.  The other was bleeding RV oil system.  Rick's recommendation was to remove the internal straw from the reservoir that it was useless.  I also found that a mighty vac worked superbly to pull the oil through the "in" and the "out".  The RV appears to me to operate in an oil bath fed by the reservoir - much like a hydraulic brake system.  It doesn't appear to pump or flow like in a a continual loop circuit to me at least and in that sense the "in" and out" stamped on the bottle are meaningless.  I could be dead wrong.  Anyways, mine works like a champ and never any trapped air bubbles.

Edited by allonsye

Posted

Mine has worked all of its bubbles out. I have about 10 hours on it since replacing the RV seals and it is running great. Looks like it was the water pump seals leaking that caused my initial problem. I know there is not a true pumping of the RV oil through the system although the action between the gears would almost certainly be pumping oil around in the bath. There should still be a natural convective flow caused by the heating of the oil in the engine side bath.

Dan

1 person likes this

Posted

I know this is an old thread, but wondering if there was a consensus on whether or not it was normal for the oil tank level to rise during operation and then settle when cold?  My 582 99 BH mounted on an Avid Flyer Mod B rises about 5/16" during operation and then settles back to normal full cold level.