New Guy

13 posts in this topic

Posted

New Guy Alert!!!

I wanted to introduce a buddy of mine and welcome him to our forum...His name is Barry and he is the proud new owner of an Avid Magnum!  It was in trade a plane a couple of weeks ago and I told him to call and buy it over the phone!  He did, but the poor guy was tied up in life stuff, and I was so excited to have a buddy building the same plane that I volunteered to pick it up for him.  Wouldn't be a big deal except for the fact that it was half the country away!

A one way airline ticket and a Penske truck rental later, It is loaded and halfway back to Barry! It is a pristine kit with some wing work completed.  It has the tip tanks too!

Anyway congrats Barry!  It is time for you to stop lurking in the shadows and make a profile on here, you are going to need the guys for help soon!

Ron

IMG_1372.JPG

IMG_1371.JPG

IMG_1374.JPG

1 person likes this

Posted

sweet deal!  Thats what friends are for, we abuse the hell out of each other right!  It will make flying a lot more fun when you get them both in the air.  I love just flying around and practicing etc, but flying with another plane or two is more fun for sure.

:BC:

2 people like this

Posted

Hello Barry, that Magnum looks like a nice score! :welcome:

Ron may be a bad influence, but he is a meticulous builder and will be a valuable builder source for you.

Just be sure to double-check your cowling measures, LOL! :)

1 person likes this

Posted

No engine?  Hoping he contacts RAM or finds a 165 to 300 hp Subaru engine for it to give you a race!  Ha!  At least he has wheels, and that's more than you started with!   Oh, I have a book on converting a V6...    Cheers,  EDMO

Posted

Ron,

Thanks for the introduction, can't wait to start working on the build! I finally got around to registering on this forum, and I am looking forward to the process.

Barry

2 people like this

Posted

Barry,

Welcome to the group. Glad you decided to join us. You'll find a lot of good guys and advice on this forum. Best group of pilots I have ever associated with online.

Remember we all love pictures, so get to building and update us often.

Kenneth

Posted

Thanks to all for the warm welcomes, be patient as I am undergoing a hanger project that will take 4-5 months to complete.  THEN on to the magnum project (if I can restrain that long)!

Blue skies!

Barry

Posted

Congrats on your purchase.  They are fun to build the forum here is fabulous.

Posted

I forgot to post my picture of my professional delivery guys!  Thanks again Ron and Dave!!!!2016-10-21_12.11.37.thumb.jpg.c486ea3c05

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Did that Magnum come from Herb Brayton in the Tri Cities Wa? If so, super nice kit with supherb work done so far and super nice guy! If not the kit still looks great. The Magnum is a WONDERFUL plane!

Edited by Chris Bolkan

Posted

Not sure of the original builder yet, just got it moved into my hanger and haven't had time to research who the builder was. I bought it in Washington from the second owner. Would love to meet Herb if it was him. Any information would be helpful. Can't wait to start in on it soon. 

Posted

IMG_7707.JPG

3 people like this

Posted

Those Magnums look so much more substantial than the little Avid Flyers! If I ever hear of something close I'd be real tempted...