Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

GPS

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Open question to our membership and guests:

What kind of GPS do you have or use in your planes and what do you like and dislike about it?

I'm looking to replace the Magellan SkyNav 5000 in my plane that is no longer supported and doesn't work well, anyway. I'm considering a portable more than a traditional panel mount like the SkyNav or the mega $ 430/530.

Thanks.

:snack:

Waiting for replys...

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

Garmin 196 here. I got it for pretty cheap from a guy off of Studentpilot.com It does everything I'll ever need. The 296 and up had color displays but it really slowed down the refresh rate.

Posted

Garmin 196 here. I got it for pretty cheap from a guy off of Studentpilot.com It does everything I'll ever need. The 296 and up had color displays but it really slowed down the refresh rate.

Mine is a Lowrance Airmap 600 handheld type, my plane is sitting in my garage with no covering on it so couldnt tell you how it works.There are a couple guys here that use them and they say it works good for the money but if you read the reviews some people complain about the cockpit lighting not being the greatest.From what everybody says its hard to beat a Garmin.The 600 does have terrain awareness but I dont plan on flying my plane when I cant see whats in front of me. Randy

Posted

I use a Garmin Pilot III portable GPS. I am pretty happy with it. It is quite basic, with a small monochrome screen and basic functions. For my VFR flying it fits the bill. It has a small mount that Velcros onto the top of the instrument panel. Although I don't have an external antenna on it, it gets good reception.

My Searey came with a Garmin 295, with a panel dock and external antenna. I haven't used it beyond turning it on and playing around with it. It has a larger screen, in color, than the Pilot III, but the other features are about the same, i.e. no XM weather, no terrain color coding, etc. Just basic functions. I know they don't make the Pilot III anymore and wouldn't be surprised if the 295 is unavailable as well.

-Nate

Posted (edited)

I have been thinking about the Garmin 196, mostly due to reputation and cost. I've heard some good things about the Lowrance, but now I see they are going to stop making aviation units. This is the problem I have with the Magellan. It's an unsupported orphan.

The latest AOPA rag has a write up about the new Garmin aero 500 series touch screen portables. It sounds like Garmin is going to stop making the tried and true 196 and 495/6 chassis to push the new touch screen units and the 695/6 units.

Grrr. :banghead:

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

Open question to our membership and guests:

What kind of GPS do you have or use in your planes and what do you like and dislike about it?

I'm looking to replace the Magellan SkyNav 5000 in my plane that is no longer supported and doesn't work well, anyway. I'm considering a portable more than a traditional panel mount like the SkyNav or the mega $ 430/530.

Thanks.

:snack:

Waiting for replys...

I use a Garmin 295 color and while it is a great GPS, I used my brothers 495 and now am kicking rocks at mine. The screen, terrain avoidance etc kick the crap out of the 295. He found a place to lease the 495 for 10 months at 150 a month, then it's yours. Makes it a little easier than putting out 1500 up front when you could be using that for gas to fly!

:BC: