Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Lexan Turtle Deck and Doors Upgrade

15 posts in this topic

Posted

I have the Avid Mark IV where I am seeking info on those who have upgraded to the lexan turtle decks and doors. On YouTube exist a video from skysailer64 showing off his Avid with yhe Lexan Turtle Deck. Looks great but can not find where he purchased this. 

Jim. N582AF

Posted

If you are talking about the bubble doors for an Avid, they can be had direct from LP Aeroplasic.

Kitfox offers a Lexan turtle deck for the model IV, similar size to the Avid, which I'm sure could be trimmed to fit. 

Posted (edited)

If you are talking about the bubble doors for an Avid, they can be had direct from LP Aeroplasic.

Kitfox offers a Lexan turtle deck for the model IV, similar size to the Avid, which I'm sure could be trimmed to fit. 

Some of us "not-so-rich" have cut our own Lexan for windsheilds and doors, and cut and bent Lexan for turtledecks - or made combination of aluminum and large window turtledecks.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Turtledecks were all hand made. I have pics of mine if you need them. Keep in mind they add weight and not much functionality. 

Posted

IMO, it is much easier to use aluminum angles for the corners, and you can make the sides out of aluminum or Lexan, and the flat top out of Lexan which gives you about as much rear vision as the full Lexan like Kitfox had.   EDMO

Posted

I have an extra KF3 T-deck that I was hoping to use on my A+ and, in turn, was hoping to use the A+ T-deck on my Aerotrek. No dice either way. I also tried to fit it up to my KF4, way different. IMO, would take a lot more than simple trimming to fit the KF T-deck to Avid and, really, how much trimming can you do on molded Lexan? Better to start new.

Posted

I have the Avid Mark IV where I am seeking info on those who have upgraded to the lexan turtle decks and doors. On YouTube exist a video from skysailer64 showing off his Avid with yhe Lexan Turtle Deck. Looks great but can not find where he purchased this. 

Jim. N582AF

Correct name is "skysailor64"     Lou

Posted

Here is the one I built, Gives it a fun look,

100_0825.JPG

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Looks Good TJay.

As I put on another thread:  Cadillac Plastics and other companies have some local dealers and have a better selection of tints & colors of Lexan and Plexi than the Aircraft suppliers.  I think that Cadillac still has a color chart posted on their site.  Some UV ratings too.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Not sure why you would want a lexan turtle deck. I never look that far back.

1 person likes this

Posted

That's so you can see the F-16 coming up on your tail - You do have a rear-view mirror?  :<)  EDMO

Posted

Which would withstand a negative bird strike better?:rolleyes:

1 person likes this

Posted

So I can see who's about to run over me in the pattern and on the ground.

Mirror.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

I think sometimes in the winter I would love it to get that extra bit of sunlight hitting my back and warming me up!  I have thought about building 2 of them.  Clear for winter and smoked for summer.

:BC:

Posted (edited)

Which would withstand a negative bird strike better?:rolleyes:

You must have some big, mean birds in NZ... We had an Ercoupe land on top of a Cessna 150 here as they both landed - prop sure chewed up the rear window and roof!   The Cessna pilot must have been looking at the runway and not using the rear mirror?  EDMO

Edited by EDMO