Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

WATIZIT?

7 posts in this topic

Posted

4A084 engine - 4 cyl air-cooled aircraft engine:   Anyone know anything about them?  HP?   Is this some military designation?   EDMO

Posted

They are a miniature Continental in  away.  Used in army generators for the most part.  Lots of parts available.  Some feel they are better than a half volkswagon engine.  HP is perhaps 40 at the most, although some may claim more.   JImChuk

2 people like this

Posted

Some will also say they don't develop the 40 HP they are rated at, plus they are HEAVY. I know one guy that put it on an ultralight, then after a couple flights pitched it in favor of a lighter engine. It just wouldn't work with the power to weight ratio he was going for. They were a generator as far as I know. I haven't heard them used for anything else. There used to be a lot of them for sale. Haven't seen many in the past few years.

Posted

the mini airboat guys are buying them up.  Seems to be a good following with them

:BC:

Posted (edited)

Some guy had two of them for sale on ebay - that's why I was asking.  I had never heard of that engine.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

There's at least one of these for sale in the Ultralight Barn at Airventure every year.  Most times complete with the Gen-Set.

Heavy.  Real Heavy, but lenty of torque.  They are a low rpm torquey engine, low on HP, like the normal Lyco-nental-saurus engines.

I did see an interesting APU in the fly-mart.  A Lawrance Radial 5 cylinder engine out of a B29.  37hp at 4000 rpm.

1 person likes this

Posted

Quite a few videos on utube of them in planes.  JImChuk