Fuselage Stretch

8 posts in this topic

Posted

I am searching for information, diagrams, measurements, pictures, ectera on stretching a Model C fuselage.  I have the Soob EA-81 out front and while trailering the bird home after purchase the tail-wheel mount was destroyed. 

Dave

Posted

I am searching for information, diagrams, measurements, pictures, ectera on stretching a Model C fuselage.  I have the Soob EA-81 out front and while trailering the bird home after purchase the tail-wheel mount was destroyed. 

Dave

Here is a picture of a bare Airdale, aka stretched Avid - Maybe you can tell where the stretch was added.  EDMO

Scan0343.jpg

Posted

[Old] Airdale Aircraft's Airdale and Avid+ Models do not use same fuselage, and the Avid stretch option does not equal either one. It's a whole 'nother animal when applied to an existing Avid B,C,D model. I believe pics attached show the Avid factory stretch on a C model.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Looks like someone took the bow out of the belly with the straight center tube.   But, do you know where the stretch was made?   Interesting photos - Looks like modified VANS or Kitfox nose gear adapted to Avid fitting, with two-piece fairing.  Is or was, this in Doug's hanger?   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Thank you for the pictures everyone. While I think I will end up having to carefully think it through and pull out a couple of my old engineering textbooks I think I can make it work. I will take notes may even build a jig (Might be the first piece towards a new Avid company)

Dave Bachman

Posted

Dave, It might be simpler to just get another rear fuselage and splice them together so you get the stretch - your longerons may be trash anyway.

EDMO

Posted

Ed from the first couple of bisections of one of the broken longeron tubes I had rust in the rear most four inches of them.  Which is better news than what I was expecting.  But is not enough verification that I will trust the rest of the tubes without further testing.  Like your idea of taking a fuse that was bent up front and using the back half.  If someone on here has one they are willing to part with please MSG me.

Now I need to get back in to reading my builders manual.

Dave