High Sierra Fly-In 2016

8 posts in this topic

Posted

This past weekend was the annual High Sierra Fly-In held on a  dry lake bed north of Reno Nevada .  It has steadily growing larger and this year was no exception with 191 airplanes on the ground . The STOL  drag race is a truly unique type of race that I would really like to try.  I got home a night early from a business trip and was able to go short notice so I decided to drive rather than try and pack the airplane and get it ready .  If you are anywhere in the northwest I highly recommend you make time to attend this One!!

The video is my friend Trent's. He got 4th overall in the STOL drag race and Steve Henry beat out Bobby Breeden in a Carbon Cub to take the overall win in his Yamaha powered Highlander. I took over 800 pics but until I get thru them here's some teaser shots. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LHhPAxb0wI0&feature=youtu.be

IMG_4651.JPG

IMG_4658.JPG

IMG_4660.JPG

IMG_4664.JPG

IMG_4671.JPG

IMG_4676.JPG

F2F20B75-D621-4F43-9B17-DA162EED0820.jpg

0909F38C-EE66-4096-9566-0DE45E6D5109.jpg

IMG_4702.JPG

IMG_4705.JPG

IMG_4706.JPG

IMG_4707.JPG

IMG_4708.JPG

IMG_4716.JPG

IMG_4745.JPG

IMG_4746.JPG

IMG_4747.JPG

IMG_4748.JPG

IMG_4749.JPG

IMG_4750.JPG

IMG_4751.JPG

IMG_4752.JPG

IMG_4753.JPG

3 people like this

Posted

Looks like a great event. This east coast boy is very envious of the areas you have to fly in!

Posted

Awesome pics .I'm there next year.I see the McBeans made it

Posted

Looks like a great time

Maybe I can meet you there next year 

how much faster was the Yamaha powered highlander than the carbon cub?  I was thinking breedens cub had a 390" stroker in it

Posted

Great video, thanks Joey. Looks like Trent had him at the turn, must have impressed Bobby if he took the FF for a flight. John M would cream his jeans if Bobby bought a Kitfox, lol.

Posted

Wow! I think I might make it next year, Joey! It is a fun flight from Cedar City UT where I will be based.

Posted

Hey Joey,

Did you happen to meet a young woman named Heidi from SD Dakota flying the T craft that Pops Dory made "Climbing out Deadstick"in?  I ran into her in Douglas, WY on her way to the he flying when she was trapped by the weather as was I.

I am going to try to make that one next year.  Great pictures!

Posted

High Sierra is coming up Oct 18-22 and it's going to be bigger and better than ever. I'm going to drive in with my powered parachute this year.