Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

My latest project MK4

38 posts in this topic

Posted

Time to show off the new bird. Finally got some time to take some pics with it today. Still finishing up the details but it'll be Idaho Backcountry ready soon. 

Specs

MK4

Rotax 582 Mod 90 C Box RK400 clutch Warp drive prop 

High Country gear 21" Dessers

Factory Built Extended Speed Wing

4 Poly Fuel tanks 24 gallons

microair radio and transponder 

IMG_4793.JPG

IMG_4794.JPG

IMG_4796.JPG

IMG_4798.JPG

IMG_4808.JPG

IMG_4809.JPG

IMG_4811.JPG

IMG_4812.JPG

IMG_4813.JPG

IMG_4814.JPG

IMG_4815.JPG

IMG_4817.JPG

IMG_4818.JPG

IMG_4820.JPG

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

Nice Bird Joey - That looks like a fine building job - I think you got a bargain.   Good Flying,   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Agreed Ed, this is one of the best deals on a true Mk-4 that I've seen in many years. Looks to be a quality build and pretty much right in his own backyard, how cool is that? So much great stuff included too, he had to make another trip to pick up even more today! Seller must be happy that it went to such a great home.

Joey, cover the struts, swap the gear and GO!  I'm very interested in hearing how the wing flies on a Mk-4 with the 582. I built my extended speed wings w/ more hp in mind but I bet yours still does ok unless it's a real porker. I would expect an honest 15mph cruise gain vs. the C model but the extra weight plus your phat tires might be a T/O performance buzzkill on the back country strips.

No worries, drop it at Hal's for a 105 Zipper next year. :BC:

Posted

Very nice condition for sure,be interested in how you like the speed wing.

Posted

Nice plane!!!!

One thing I question, fuel valves, would think both down for on!!!

unless there's a reason for this set up,

remenber John Denver?

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Nice plane!!!!

remenber John Denver?

Good Call Snaps - I missed that one!  I had an inspector threaten to fail my Ercoupe once because the switch for the position lights was mounted sideways - certainly not life-threatening like this could be, but not according to the rules.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Love the break pedals

Posted (edited)

Love the break pedals

That is a version of the modification designed by one of our members to take the flex out of the pedals and give better braking geometry.    I think it was Mikesk, but the handles were all flip-flopped when the site changed - Might be Saskavid now?

I think Joey has them on his old plane too.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Nice plane!!!!

remenber John Denver?

It's on the list of stuff to change but it has to do with how the lines come in on the backside.

Posted

I like the valves up near when the tanks are.  No doubt then what tank you are turning on or off.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Just noticed the gear .looks like mine that was built by high country.any info on it?

Posted

Just noticed the gear .looks like mine that was built by high country.any info on it?

Same gear Mike. My spinner is 16" shorter than this one. Granted I have the 27s but this thing sits super low.

Posted

So what is the reason for installing aluminum around the bottom of the door then cutting it out for glass in the middle?

Posted (edited)

So what is the reason for installing aluminum around the bottom of the door then cutting it out for glass in the middle?

Guessing it takes the stress off of the glass so it don't crack?  Looks good too.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Maybe that was all the bigger the glass was that he had left over...  ;-)  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

If you look at one of the first photos, the bottom glass of the open door looks like it has a big bow in it.   Maybe he bowed the center tube out?   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Maybe that was all the bigger the glass was that he had left over...  ;-)  JImChuk

That was my exact thought too, I don't mind the look of it at all, I was just wondering if it was an MK4 trademark of not,

Posted

Same gear Mike. My spinner is 16" shorter than this one. Granted I have the 27s but this thing sits super low.

i think I ended up cutting the strut shorter making it taller and was able to get more preload on the bungee.

Posted

One thing that is making the nose set lower is the non stock tail spring which has a greater angle and appears to tip the tail wheel pivot bolt to the rear at the top instead of forward. That will also create negative stability and be a little squirrelly on the roll.  It does get the rear fabric a littler higher out of the weeds.  Mine wants to land tail low when landing slow but the speed wing is different and may have the center of lift a little more to the rear than the STOL wing.  Anyway it will be nice to get some reports about how she flies and handles.

Great plane Joey it's going to be fun!

Posted (edited)

Joey - I can't remember if you mentioned it and I can't count the # of ribs or nose ribs in the pics. Are the 'factory built' extended speed wings built to 18" o.c. S.T.O.L. or 12" o.c. H.H. spec? How many nose ribs between ribs? Do you know if they have factory (1-1/2", IIRC) twist or less? Interesting D.I.Y. f/g root ribs.

Edited by dholly

Posted

Doug,   I think what you are seeing with the fiberglass root rib is actually the original fiberglass fuel tank.  There is no end rib on these Avids, just the fuel tank.

Photo0045.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Hi Jim, I used Kitfox f/g wing tanks in my Avid Mk-4 build so I never did it the 'Avid way' wing tank install. When I saw the pics, at first I thought maybe the new poly tank was placed in the old tank like many of the 'cut out the top of the old tank' retro installs. But then I saw the little capstrip lip extending towards the butt rib side on the bottom forward edge of the old tank. I didn't think the original Avid f/g wrapped tank had any lip there (can't see in your wing pic), so I thought maybe the person who did the poly tank install may have cut out the entire tank and fabricated new ribs by repurposing the ends of the tank and adding new capstrips. If I didn't have any extra ribs on hand, sounds like something I'd try. Also, if you look at the left wing, it looks like a wood root rib with non-poly tanks. I dunno, pretty hard to tell from the pics alone.

Edited by dholly

Posted

Doug,

Can you explain your comment about the "the new poly tank was placed in the old tank like many of the 'cut out the top of the old tank' retro installs. I have the traditional wrapped Avid tanks and would like to hear more about this. What new tank was used to drop into the old tank and are they still available?

Posted

So it only had one wing tank originally so the two sides are a little different from each other. These are pics of pics from my build log but hopefully it gives you an idea.

IMG_4875.JPG

IMG_4876.JPG

IMG_4877.JPG

Posted

RobS - go to www.wingtanks.com and check out the pics. Shows two install methods... one into a wing with no pre-existing tank, and another into an existing Avid wing tank after cutting the top out. In both instances the new poly tanks are foamed in place with a low pressure expanding foam i.e. Great Stuff for Windows and Doors (in the blue can, not the red can). The poly tank install shown there was my buddy Russ' Avid Mk-4 before the foam. He was frustrated by the small diameter transfer tube between tanks and said fill-ups took forever. I doubt you can get those tanks from Brett anymore anyway as he is now M.I.A.

If you search for 'www.wingtanks.com' here onsite, you will find several related threads. Bandit has a thread onsite here showing how he cut the tops out and dropped in new poly tanks sourced from Stace Schrader at Rocky Mountain Wings. The rib profile of the Ridge Runner is close enough to the Avid under camber rib that it can be made to fit. I know a few who went this route. I think Chris Bolkan has shown how he cut the tops off, repaired then resealed his old f/g tanks.

If you prefer to go the e-resistant f/g wing tanks, check THIS THREAD.