Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Got to love our Avids !

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Gave my neighbor a ride this morning. He is 6' 2", 230 lbs. Wow,we were heavy and awful cozy. That little 503 did a great job though. Got to love it !

Posted

Bet you were cozy in there!

:BC:

Posted

How did you get the doors closed.

Posted (edited)

How did you get the doors closed.

Easy - Just like the Avid specs chart where the invisible pilot weighs nothing but has a very heavy passenger!   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I have to say that I'm really impressed with the 503.  Last winter I went for a ride with a guy in a Kitfox 4 with a 503.  Granted we were pretty near at sea level, but it got off the ground with both of us with very little problem.  Combined weight we were probably about 375 or so.  I don't remember what he had on for fuel.  The plane flew fairly fast for that little bit of power also.  I think the longer, newer style wing on the Kitfox 4  helps, but none the less there were only 52 HP in front of us.   A friend of mine is about 6'1" and probably about 230 lb, and we flew several times in my Avid MK IV and my B model also.  He set his Avid A model up as a single seat, so did his BFRs in my planes.   He was a snug fit though.  One of the reasons I widened my latest MK IV fuselage 3" during the rebuild.  JImChuk

Posted

I rode in a KF IV with a 503 and had the same experience.  I think we were only getting about 250fpm climb.  I'm a bigger guy at 6' 225 lbs and yes the cockpit is cozy with anyone else close to average size.  I'm doing the wide body mod on mine now and I'm hoping the extra shoulder room will make it a little more comfortable.