Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

turboprop Introduction Project Desciption

36 posts in this topic

Posted

I am not certain what you are asking.  I made the jig using the 582 mount.  The firewall is 0-0 and the mount has 2° down thrust and no side thrust.  The early model planes had the fin offset instead of adding left thrust to the engine..Later model planes have the fin in the center as they were starting to use different engines etc. 

If you start with the 2° down thrust you can always add a washer or two under the engine mount to get your right thrust if testing shows you need it.  Sometimes the old ways of the RC modeler come out in me and I take the easy approach to fixing a complex issue.

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

The methods for squaring and setting the wings should be in the manuals posted on this site.  EDMO

Posted

There is some progress with the tailwheel!

0-02-05-3f787cf03e6e90c780d2df3a81d502f1cf4660c9292b8cc9bc5437714c7ea459_full.jpg

0-02-05-d35df7c468dc69fcdc5c95985d026bf248423e3175bf076d765a7b1842114d27_full.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Looks nice!  One day I will have to delve into the world of CF.

:BC:

Posted

Make sure the carbon is isolated from any metal structure - unlike fiberglass, it will cause differential metal corrosion if the carbon is in direct contact with metal.

Mark

Posted

Make sure the carbon is isolated from any metal structure - unlike fiberglass, it will cause differential metal corrosion if the carbon is in direct contact with metal.

Mark

Mark, If there is enough resin wouldn't that insulate it though? I've never thought of this issue before. 

Posted

A quick and informative read about this can be found here: https://www.corrosionpedia.com/2/1556/corrosion/galvanic-corrosion-of-metals-connected-to-carbon-fiber-reinforced-polymers

Posted (edited)

Mark

Mark, If there is enough resin wouldn't that insulate it though? I've never thought of this issue before. 

I have never used CF or Kevlar in the years I was laying fiberglass - I wonder if using CF is like using Kevlar, where you put a layer of FG before you start laying the Kevlar / CF, and maybe make a top layer of FG also?  Never have seen any instructions for using CF.  Is this material different than the FG with strands of CF woven into it?  

Landing gears were made of layers of FG long before CF came into use.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

Ed, I've used CF quite a bit but just never heard of having to have it insulated from any metal. I can only think of one instance that I didn't have a layer of FG encapsulating the CF though so never really had to think about that. Plus in all my installations it was only touching other plastic, FG or painted aluminum. Guess I'm off to google this, I'm intrigued enough to find answers now. 

EDIT: After a quick internet search I found a good article written about this and how to mitigate the issues. It's not completely light reading but it is informational. It seems like using certain types of stainless and titanium are the best way to insulate it when it comes to metal, however a layer of fiberglass is fine as well. Good stuff to know!

https://www.corrosionpedia.com/2/1556/corrosion/galvanic-corrosion-of-metals-connected-to-carbon-fiber-reinforced-polymers

Edited by lostman
1 person likes this

Posted

Mark

Kenneth,

Theoretically yes, but if there is any fretting that rubs down to the carbon, or your layup is a little dry it can bite you where you can least afford it.  The fiberglass layer on the outside is one method, just remember that fiberglass layer is just there for insulation, it does not add any strength to the layup.  The carbon is stiffer than the fiberglass, so it is carrying all the load.  It's not a major issue if you are aware and prepare for it.

I just always post the warning because if you are used to working with fiberglass, it isn't something you think about.

Mark

2 people like this

Posted

Ed, I've used CF quite a bit but just never heard of having to have it insulated from any metal. I can only think of one instance that I didn't have a layer of FG encapsulating the CF though so never really had to think about that. Plus in all my installations it was only touching other plastic, FG or painted aluminum. Guess I'm off to google this, I'm intrigued enough to find answers now. 

EDIT: After a quick internet search I found a good article written about this and how to mitigate the issues. It's not completely light reading but it is informational. It seems like using certain types of stainless and titanium are the best way to insulate it when it comes to metal, however a layer of fiberglass is fine as well. Good stuff to know!

https://www.corrosionpedia.com/2/1556/corrosion/galvanic-corrosion-of-metals-connected-to-carbon-fiber-reinforced-polymers

Good article Kenneth - I found some interesting articles on the side of it that I will read too.   Thanks,  EDMO 

1 person likes this