Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Break squawk (Matco)

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I am starting to experience a higher pitch noise out of my right brake assembly while taxiing (kind of like an intermittent squawking noise).  Cant really feel any vibration.  Goes away as soon as I touch the brake pedal, however... usually returns in about 100 feet.  Braking effect is excellent (actually a bit better than the left).  Disc surface is smooth, shiny and true (at least visually on the inboard surface when I spin the tire).  Caliper motion on the pins is free and does not appear to be dragging at all.  Behaves just like the left.

Anyone experience this at all?

Edited by LSaupe

Posted

could be a wheel bearing, and when you apply brake pressure that may put a slight side load on it and make it stop.

Posted

I second what TJay said. Check the tightness of the wheel bearing to see if there is any play.

Personally I'd also pull both brakes and make sure that the caliper pucks are moving smoothly. Maybe it's just sticking intermittently? Just make sure they both are able to be pressed back into the caliper with the same pressure.

Good luck, let us know what you find.

Posted

Checked them both out.  Both side bearings are tight and smooth with zero play.  Have not yet pulled the calipers, but they do release well.  Both also spin down at the same rate after take off.

Posted

Have you physically grabbed the rotor and pulled it around a bit to see if there is even the slightest chance it is loose? Maybe it will run true but once the brakes touch it there is a couple thousandths of play that could cause what you're describing. 

If everything is free and running correctly you sure have me trying to figure out what is happening. Any chance your right foot is a bit heavier on the brake pedal? It wouldn't take much to make it just touch and make noise. 

If the system is all working and it's all just noise I suppose you could learn to ignore it. I know I couldn't but some people can. 

Posted

Yep, have grabbed the rotors, tight with no slop anywhere. Bearings also tight and smooth.

It also happens when I fly from the right seat, where there are no brake pedals (i.e. no heavy foot drag going on).  Gonna live with it for now I guess.  Just no down time at the moment to pull the rims and calipers.

Posted

I'm sure it's got to be something I can't think of right now. Hope you get it figured out and that there isn't any issue running it the way it is for now. It sounds like it's just an annoyance right now rather than a safety of flight thing though. That's always better than the alternative.