Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

What Cowl{s} are available for a C model with a EA-81

3 posts in this topic

Posted

My Avid is a C model with an EA-81 out front.  The current cowl / radiator is a heavy draggy, ugly disaster.

Having searched the forum without much luck finding current information.  I remember a post about someone selling their molds and getting out of the business, but now I can't find the thread.   I am looking for someone who is making / selling cowls, as I would prefer not to go through the whole mold making process if possible.

Dave in Western IL

IMG_20160207_114909069_HDR.jpg

Posted (edited)

Dave,  I think there is a member who has a Mk4 cowl for sale - Donno if it is the one you want.  Check the posts,

Gary Dwinal still has his post listed on the forum.    I dont know if Joey C5 has one for sale.     Some of the Avid guys should be able to tell you which one to buy.   I don't think your cowl looks bad, and guess it works OK.....WTH, it aint no Gulfstream or Lear!   Then are you going to hang the rad under the firewall where it will still drag and get the heat from the exhausts too?   Don't scrap it - I might want it someday!   Greyhound is cheapest shipping for large fiberglass.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

My personal thoughts on this. First it's too bad I didn't know about this a year ago. I was in western IL as well and had my Avid EA81 cowling there. It would have been easy to make a mold from it and produce a new bottom cowling.

Secondly, since my EA81 had cheek radiators and it kept plenty cool I'd suggest going that route. It would cut down on drag and ugly factor at the same time.

The third thought: maybe figure out what to do about radiators and then cut up the lower cowling and just smooth and round it back out. That way you wouldn't have to start over all the way. What small area you are working on compared to the entire cowling would make it much easier to produce good results without starting over from scratch.

Last thought: I still have my cowling but they are in Utah. I get out there a few times a year and just got back from a trip there. If you're serious about it and willing to wait until next spring I could produce a nice set for you. The only issue is that they are off the only MK V ever built so they may have a bit of work to do to them once you got them to make them fit properly. Although the MK V was built from either a C or Mk IV model.