Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Nate's Pics

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Anyway, here is a few pictures of flying around. The first is the Searey. Definitely very different than any aircraft I have been in. I have not flown it yet but have done some taxing around. It is weird to be able to reach out the side and touch the ground. It should be alot of fun once it's ready to go.

The other pictures are from summer 2008. My brother and I went up to the headwaters of the Skwentna river to scout out a spot for a packraft trip. We weren't able to make the trip but it was fun to scout it out. Hopefully we'll make it next summer.

I'll post some more pictures when I get back to my laptop. Anyway, enjoy!

-Nate

post-113-12604708706861_thumb.jpg

post-113-12604708827605_thumb.jpg

post-113-12604708948915_thumb.jpg

Posted

Looking sweet.. I am still pissed that you won the damn plane that I was spose to win :lol: I think that little bird will be a kick in the ass to play with!

:BC:

Posted (edited)

Here are some pictures from 2005. My little brother and I packed up my Cessna 140 and headed for Kotzebue. We departed Merrill Field, stopped in Skwentna for fuel and food and made our way through Rainy Pass. Beautiful weather. We refueled in McGrath (85 degrees on the ground!) and continued west. We camped in Unalakleet and the next day made the two hour flight to Nome, where we stayed the night with a friend. About an hour north of Nome is the Serpentine Hot Springs. It was a pretty low ceiling when we reached the springs, I was about ready to turn back when we spotted the airstrip. There was already two people there, one in a C-185 and the other with a Lake amphib. The airstrip is about 1000 feet long and dirt, not what I think of as prime Lake territory, but Ed said it did alright. We stayed for two days, hiking around and enjoying the springs. It is a pretty cool landscape with large rock outcroppings and small herds of caribou wandering around.

After Serpentine we made our way to Kotzebue. We stayed overnight with a pilot my dad used to fly for in the 60's. He gave us coordinates to a landing spot at the Great Kobuk Sand Dunes, about 100 miles east of Kotzebue. We took off, stopping in Kiana for fuel ($7/gal). We landed at the dunes and spent almost the entire night running around and exploring. The dunes cover about 25 square miles. The sand is a little course but pretty amazing considering it is above the Arctic Circle. The next day we departed for Galena but ran into some low clouds. We made our way back to Kotzebue, arrived SVFR, refueled and took off for Galena, stopping in Huslia to throw 5 gallons in the tanks. We landed in Galena, made camp and headed for the bar. Quite depressing. We we amped up about this little adventure we were on, and everybody else is staring into their beers, with one guy playing some Johnny Cash songs on his guitar very poorly. We headed back for camp in a cloud of mosquitoes. We departed fairly early, headed east along the Yukon towards Tanana. We were bucking a strong headwind so we turned south towards McGrath. Forty minutes later we ran into a wall of smoke and headed back to Galena to refuel. Once back in the air, we fought the headwind to Tanana, threw 5 gallons in the tanks and made our way to Fairbanks. We had a late lunch with another brother, refueled and headed south along the highway. We stopped at the Summit airstrip to refuel and stretch our legs and made the last leg towards home. We landed back at Merrill Field about 11:30. The last day, from Galena to Anchorage, was nine hours. I don't know how many of you have been in a 140, but nine hours is long, long, long time. But it was fun. For the whole trip we covered about 2100 miles in 20+ hours. We saw a goodly portion of Alaska (there is still lots more!), and it is always fun to fly someplace new. Anyway, enjoy the pictures.

-Nate

post-113-12619657437833_thumb.jpg

post-113-12619657603408_thumb.jpg

post-113-12619657846246_thumb.jpg

post-113-12619658032648_thumb.jpg

post-113-12619658396938_thumb.jpg

post-113-12619658647116_thumb.jpg

post-113-12619659090351_thumb.jpg

post-113-1261965929425_thumb.jpg

post-113-126196595733_thumb.jpg

post-113-12619659738222_thumb.jpg

post-113-12619659961556_thumb.jpg

post-113-12619660140458_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nate

Posted

Great pictures. The rock outcroppings are really amazing! I wonder how they were formed?

Jack

Posted

I'm really not sure what process formed the rock outcroppings, but they are impressive. Serpentine Hot Springs comes up on Google Earth. The resolution is quite poor at the Springs (can't even really make out the airstrip) but to the south some outcroppings are clearly discernible.

Posted

sweet pics! looks like it was a killer trip.

Posted

I finally moved into something that will haul the family around. The Sedan is very comfortable, especially when compared to the 140. Speed is not it's forte but I'm not in much of a rush. From the factory the Sedan only had one door on the passenger side, but when this Sedan was upgraded to 180 HP, seaplane doors on both sides were installed.

The more I fly it the more I like it. It's a little like driving an old truck, with a real solid feel to it.

-Nate

post-113-13410425531385_thumb.jpg

post-113-13410425622733_thumb.jpg

Posted

I'm a sucker for seaplane doors, nice ride!

Posted

Nice ride! Welcome back to the owners circle :lol: You still planning on some clam digging this week?

Posted

Not this week, due to a change in plans. But still definitely on the list of things to do.