Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

hard core winter lover..??

22 posts in this topic

Posted

Well, yesterday I turned 65, and I got a nice present from mother nature.  We had 18" of snow up here in northern Mn.  I plowed today, and ended up packing the runway with the snowmobile.  Will put the skis on the plane tomorrow.  That will be the earliest ever.  Looked through my logbook, and I see 11-27 as the earliest one before this.  Some others were 12-5, 12-9, 12-21, 12-27, 12-29.   Some of those times were where there was just a bit to much snow for wheels and barely enough for skis, but this time there is plenty for skis.  At least I will get some ski flying in before I head south.  This wasn't the biggest or earliest storm we ever had up here, I remember in 1991 we had the Halloween storm, 10-31, and it dropped about 30" of snow on us.  Well I'll enjoy? it while I can.  JImChuk

Photo1010.jpg

Photo1015.jpg

Photo1020.jpg

Photo1019.jpg

Posted (edited)

Did you guys at least get a little cold before the snow to start some frost into the ground?

Snow on soft, unfrozen ground makes for one hell of a mess trying to plow...

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

Actually it rained most of Thursday night, and finally got cold enough to turn to snow early in the morning.  It was wet and sloppy underneath  the snow.  Ended up using my front end loader and then cleaned up with the pickup cause the pickup didn't want to do it.  I'll have a mess in the spring.   Did you get anything in Wi.?  JImChuk

Posted

We got a dusting.  That's it.  It was almost 70º here on Wednesday.

Posted

Ya got us beat too jim.  About 13" in park rapids.

Was gonna take the rx1 out tomorrow and see how.she runs.

Thinkin I better keep the speed up out on the lakes eh?

:lmao:

Posted

Ya, I'd stay off the lakes myself.  It actually got down to +4 F last night.  (love that global warming) The way it's going, they will be froze soon.  I seen one report from Cass county of 25" of snow.  I think they got the most.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

Soooo - The "Hard Core Winter Lover" will soon be on the beach in Florida heat, leaving his pals to enjoy the snow! 

:BC:

I voted for Global Warming - You can keep the snow up North!   What about that Doug?

EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

First flight on skis for the year was today.  Featherpillow soft landings.  They were sweet!  Earliest ever on skis.  JImChuk

Posted

Ugh, not my preferred birthday present! We saw a record 73° here on Friday what a day. The wildlife pic off the deck was about noon today, second pic about 8 PM. Now there's another 4 inches of snow since. Been a o busy trying to get all the darn leaves up that my snowplow is still back in the woods somewhere, oops! Definitely jealous of you snowbirds. 

IMG_4462.JPG

IMG_4464.JPG

1 person likes this

Posted

Nice buck Doug!  Our season ended today.  They are safe from me though,  wife doesn't like the meat, and I wont kill them just for the fun of it.  Allthough when they are all over the field when I'm trying to land, I would be tempted to take a few shots.  You must have not had any wind with that snow.  Nice and flat on the top.  Ours was drifts all over the place.  Field was pretty good though, especially after I drug it with the snowmobile and home made drag.  JImChuk

Posted

Wind was craazy for the past couple days but finally did slow up last night. We have plenty of drifts but the deck is somewhat protected so it usually provides a good snow gauge. Here's the 6am deck shot, not much falling now. That buck is just one of many 8-10 pointers, would be like shooting fish in a barrel here if I still hunted. We have watched a 12pt bruiser make it thru the past few seasons but he hasn't shown up yet. :(

image.jpg

Posted (edited)

Some guy got a world record 47 pointer this year in Tennessee - I saw the photo on internet.

I stopped hunting years ago - got guns I haven't fired in years or not at all - should start selling them.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

You can never have too many guns.. 

3 people like this

Posted

You can never have too many guns.. 

That's what I used to think - BTW, the 47point deer was shot with a muzzleloader.   EDMO

Posted

Jim,

Just leave all that nasty white stuff up there when you come south, we don't want it!

Never was a hunter, but enjoy shooting.  Hunting just looks like too much work for me.  I'm of the same opinion about fishing.  Floating around a lake in a boat is fine, but if one of those stupid fish get on the line, then it turns into work. If you do catch it, then you have to clean it, and that is really work! :)  

I'll buy my meat at the grocery store where no animals are harmed! :lmao:(Actual quote from some genius ranting about hunting)

Mark

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Alaska ruined my fishing - no need to spend all day waiting for one to get on a hook - just use a dipnet and fill up the big freezer!   Mostly baitfish down here unless you catch a big catfish or spoonbill, and you have to use a hook and line now - they frown on dynamite!  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Ok, If I was in Alaska and could catch fresh salmon, I'd but up for fishing then.  the dipnet method sounds perfect to me.

Mark

Posted

I was partly raised in Michigan - Ice fishing won't be on my list again either!  EDMO

Posted

Keep that white stuff up there!!! :P I turn on heat when it gets below 60 outside!!! :flamegun:

And the gun thing.... I have gotten back into it a bit deeper. I have a billet AR that is sub MOA. I get a break late in the afternoon I go and set the gong up. Also doing some precision loading with a 220 Swift.

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

I went from .220 Swift to .444 Mag and Built a custom 45-70  at Wild West Guns after I moved to Alaska - Corbon made a hot load for them - Big Bullets for Big Bears!  Now I don't hunt or shoot, so my .223 is one of the "house" guns.  I think I could hit a 5 gallon can at 30 feet about 20 times real quick!  Maybe that's a little "overkill"?  ;<)  I've got a rare English Drilling with Krupp barrels, some scarce muzzleloaders and others, and would like to find someone who appreciates them before my widow gets rid of them.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Cool stuff Ed. My swift is a Rem 700 VS FS II. Probably going to have the bolt, etc blueprinted before i am done.

Not that much into the muzzle loaders, but I have a really nice US issue WWI 1911 that was refurbished and reissued in WWII. Also have a nice M1 Carbine built by Saginaw Steering Gear Division! :flag: An M1 Garand is on the list. I am out of safe space at the moment though....

Thread hijack in progress! :ph34r:

Posted (edited)

My Swift was on a Winchester early Model 70 action, unfortunately it burned in my house along with 53 others.  BTW, I fluted barrels for Wild West Guns and we sent them out for Cryo freezing.  I have a Nickel 1911 Civilian frame that was made in 1912 - 4 digit number - sure would like to find an original slide for it.  Got some others - I went to school on shooting the 1911 - Love it.  Got a box full of barrels with muzzle brakes on them that I should sell.  Starting to shake so much with pistols that I need a longgun, or luck!  I removed the "useless" factory muzzle brake from my son-in-law's .375 Mag and replaced it with one I designed - He came back and said his rifle shot 2" lower at 100 yards and wondered why - I told him it was simple - Less Kick!  And he agreed.  Ha! 

Well, back to flying - guess we can PM about guns.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this