Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Alaska Coyote

15 posts in this topic

Posted

No good pics yet to post up, but I will start a "build thread" for a "new" aircraft that I am going to build :)  a heavily modified umm partial kit that I made a deal on and will pick up next week. 

Going to be nice to have 47" of shoulder room in a 2 place bird that can still haul a good load! 

:BC:

Posted

Looking forward to it!

1 person likes this

Posted

Pretty soon you will have more projects than me Leni.  Hope you move yours along faster than I have been lately.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

not much to report yet but I did get the plane home and started stripping it down. There are only 3 tubes that are in need of replacement but I am going to reshape the rudder and stab while I am at it to give it more of a super cub look.

The baggage area is 55" long!  I am going to love that as well as the large 33" X 27" baggage door.

I did build a quick set of stubby gear for it so I can roll it in and out of the garage as needed.  It is going to be a fun build as I do a few things to customize it and make it "mine"  Keeping it as light as possible is top on my list!

Coyote14.jpg

20161204_193221.jpg

20161204_193235.jpg

20161204_193630.jpg

20161213_153734.jpg

Posted

So is this an Avid? Because sure has alot of the Avid similarity's 

Posted

Jim was working for Avid and wanted a bigger plane.  My understanding is that at the time Avid was not interested in making a bigger plane so he built his own.  Avid later came out with the Avid Magnum to compete with this one.  I have not layed a wing rib side X side but it appears to have the same airfoil as the avids as well as MANY other direct similarities.. I look at it as the "prototype" avid magnum.

Posted

for all practical purposes, its an avid that was scaled up 33%

Posted (edited)

needs the Airdale folding seats so you can lay down in it - at least the passenger side.  I like those "hip-hugger" seats.     You got a bargain in spite of my posting - If I was still in Ak I would have tried to beat you to it!  :BC:  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

seats will be upgraded.  pull the pins and they will come out for a nice sleeping area.  Don't need no stinking tent!

2 people like this

Posted

Looks like a pretty damn nice project to me. Those seats do look like they sit nice also.

Posted

Pretty neat Leni. That sure is one honkin' big baggage door! Any clue how many Coyote kits Tomash sold vs. ultimately made it in the air?

1 person likes this

Posted

Pretty neat Leni. That sure is one honkin' big baggage door! Any clue how many Coyote kits Tomash sold vs. ultimately made it in the air?

not sure how many made it in the air versus those sold.  I got a partial copy of the build manual... wow.. not too helpful to the builder.  Pretty much at every step is says study drawing and build per drawing :lol:   not sure how many were actually built

Posted

Leni are you going to replace the windshield?:huh:

1 person likes this

Posted

Leni are you going to replace the windshield?:huh:

nope, figured I would give the new IFR panel a tryout first.  :lol:

Thinking this one will get a GRT mini X in the panel.  For what I got the plane for I can spend a few bucks on the panel and take a lot of weight out of the cockpit. 

Posted

Leni, how is the project going? You frozen in? It's been quiet around here and I've been wondering how the plane is coming along.