Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Cessna 150L

16 posts in this topic

Posted

My wife is considering purchase of a 1971 150L from a friend of ours.  We know the history of the plane from the original owner through the current (who is 3rd owner).  Has always been stored in a heated hangar.

4,000 hours TT, engine has 2,000 hours TT with 600 hours SMOH.

I am not familiar with these birds at all.  Anything in particular to be looking at (i.e. problem area's)?  We will be going with two A&P's as well to inspect it.

Larry S.

Posted (edited)

Larry, About the only trouble spots I know of are:  Corrosion at landing gear attachments, rudder lower support worn, all aileron, flap and rudder cables, engine is about TBO, check exhaust, heat exchanger, muffler, carefully, along with general condition inspection.  I don't remember on the 150, but on the 206 one wing bolt points aft and the other forward, and if the rear bolt is put in wrong, the cable can wear on the end of it.  AND, you do not want the Cessna Diamond scar on your forehead!  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

It probably won't get its picture in kitplanes though,

Posted

Thanks guys.  The inspection is tomorrow.

Posted

We ended up picking up this bird.  Very nice plane actually.  Has VOR as well.  I am a Sport Pilot now but will probably start transition training to PP so I can fly it now and then (if she lets me that is) :o)

EDMO, thanks for the "heads-up" on the diamond scar (pun intended).  Those ailerons are as bad as our flaperons with regard to height!

DSCN5268.JPG

DSCN5265.JPG

2 people like this

Posted

Nice bird - Since you already know a lot about flying, the added flying and education should be fun to do.  I enjoyed a lot of time in those birds.  EDMO

Posted

Convert to a taildragger ( if you can put up with the taxiing noise!)and have a 150 with attitude.

Posted (edited)

Convert to a taildragger ( if you can put up with the taxiing noise!)and have a 150 with attitude.

Just listen to the noise of dragging the tailskid and pretend you have a TD - Then park it level as your wife will insist!  You are going to be surprised at how powerful those big flaps are, and learn an easier way of landing.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

4,000 hour total time 150??? I didn't think any existed anymore with less than 10,000 hours!  That is a good find.  I think Ed missed the 600 hour SMOH on the engine, it has a ways to go before TBO.

It may not be an Avid, but at least the cabin is as small :P

Posted

4,000 hour total time 150??? I didn't think any existed anymore with less than 10,000 hours!  That is a good find.  I think Ed missed the 600 hour SMOH on the engine, it has a ways to go before TBO.

It may not be an Avid, but at least the cabin is as small :P

Mark,  I agree - this bird is a virgin compared to other 150Ls!  I did misread the 600 SMOH as STOH - Engine should be good.  EDMO

Posted

Larry - was that in the area, looks kind of familiar?

Posted

Wow!!! What a cream puff!!! I love those planes. Very light on the controls and a joy to fly. Unlike the later 182s that were like flying a log wagon!!!

Posted (edited)

Wow!!! What a cream puff!!! I love those planes. Very light on the controls and a joy to fly. Unlike the later 182s that were like flying a log wagon!!!

Amen to that sermon!  Although I enjoyed the feel of the 172 for traveling.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Larry - was that in the area, looks kind of familiar?

Yep, it is based at Royalton (and has been for quite some time).  We will be moving it to Saratoga on the 10th (next Saturday), so you might see us pass overhead.

Posted

Finally got a break in the weather and was able to fly her home yesterday. Great flying airplane, very stable (very good cabin heating on a cold day).  We were given a ride out there in a Cessna 195.  Now that is a neat taildragger!  It garnered a great deal off attention from onlookers when it landed.  

Posted (edited)

C-195 is a nice-looking plane, and getting more rare, but a PIA to try to see out of on the ground for taxi or takeoff before the tail comes up.  Nose-draggers are a lot better for that.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO