Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Balanceing carbs with a digital manometer???

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi all,  recently I had to change the gas valve on my furnace.  They need to be set to the right amount of pressure going to the burners.  I bought one of these digital manometers off of ebay.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Stgist-Digital-Manometer-Differential-Air-Pressure-Meter-9V-battery-11-Unit-/191815788522?hash=item2ca91ca7ea:g:W64AAOSwh2xYANQB    Those manometers have dual ports on top that are able to give a differencial reading from the one port to the other.  I got thinking I could use it for balanceing the carbs on a rotax engine, either a 582 if you hooked to the primer ports or on a 912 the way they are usually balanced with the ports on the carbs.  I happened to find this video on utube, seems this  "tomboy" came up with the same idea for her motorcycle.   First off, before you watch that video, IHAVE NO IDEA WHO SHE IS.. ;-)  Anyway, I would like your thoughts on this idea I had.  I'm trying to find uses for this instrument, hopefully it will be a long time before I ever need to change another gas valve.   I looked at this link after I posted it, and for some reason it comes in right near the end of the video, and then wants to start another video.  Just hit the view again button to start at the beginning.    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poOLTKcOV2s#t=376.521  I know you can check an ASI with a manometer as well to see how far off it is.  You would have to have a way to pump air in small amounts though if you use this gauge.  I know I've hooked a length of 1/4" hose to the pitot tube, plugged the other end and then started folding and kinking the hose.  That small amount of pressure will raise the ASI needle.  If the gauge was T ed into the line, you would be getting a reading on it.  Here is a link to testing an ASI with a manometer.  http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=17328  Well a bunch of links, but the site isn't real busy.  What are your opinions?  JImChuk

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

i have gauges for synching carbs but never had real good luck on the 2 strokes, Not much vacuum there, I have found if you slide a socked in the carbs right up to the jet nozzle it makes a good feeler gauge,

Posted

That's pretty much how I've synched carbs on the 2 strokes myself, although I've used a spring loaded hole gauge more recently.  Set it for the one side, and then adjust the other carb to match it.  JIm

Image result for hole gauge

Posted

That electric gauge is probably not at all accurate enough to balance some carbs. its accuracy is listed at plus and minus 2 psi, which is 103 mm of mercury,

Posted

I use the digital carb mate and it seems to keep the engine running smooth and EGTS match pretty darn well.  I guess at the end of the day matching EGTS is a pretty easy way to dial in the carbs as well.

:BC: