Bmw powered avid

34 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi guys 

I thought I would post a few more pictures of the progress with the new seats and panel as I haven't been that active here for a few while 

20180310_150208.jpg

20180310_144839.jpg

3 people like this

Posted

Looks very nice

Posted

Very nice set-up.  Are the seats stiff-backed?  I am contemplating a mod to my plane's sling seats for lumbar support.  Maybe I would be better off designing new seats from scratch.

Posted

Hi turbo 

Thank you very much, I have the fiber glass seat thats from the kitfox, I've never been on a sling back seat so wouldn't know what it's like.

Posted

Really like the engine installation and the interior work on the seats. I would like to do something similar with my kitfox in both regards.

Posted

I believe airtrikes in Canada sells conversion kits for the bmw. Try airtrikes.com.

1 person likes this

Posted

Really like the engine installation and the interior work on the seats. I would like to do something similar with my kitfox in both regards.

Thank you very much, I got the idea for the seats from kitfox then I had them made, the fabric is heavy duty cordura.

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the update Richard.  I think I'd get a much more warm and fuzzy behind this set up over the 582 which failed on me last December after takeoff and over obstacles.  I've not put it back in the air again and honestly if I do (with the 582), I'll sell it, not fly it.  But first I must replace the shredded gear and bent longerons *sigh*.  I think the safe operational characteristics of a 4-stroke are a far wider spectrum than with 2-strokes all things considered.  For heavens sake, Rotax even advises in so many words!  Unfortunately, for the Avid, viable 4 stroke options are few and far between.  The R100 set up looks most appealing to me.

Edited by allonsye

Posted

I had the same thing happen to me with a 582 and I wouldn't fly behind another 582 again ( sorry if it affends anyone but once bitten twice is shy ) the r100 conversion wasn't easy but it has well over 200 hours on it and I haven't had any issues and runs like a dream.