Bmw powered avid

34 posts in this topic

Posted

clip of the bmw r100 running 

Posted

Morning flight 

4 people like this

Posted

I'm  considering the R100 BMW conversion as well.  But, one problem, is there someone out there who can fabricate the adapter plate - required to bring the Rotax C PSRU and the engine together.  Also, I will also need an engine mount for this engine.  Where can I get one?  That's just starters ...

Posted

I'm  considering the R100 BMW conversion as well.  But, one problem, is there someone out there who can fabricate the adapter plate - required to bring the Rotax C PSRU and the engine together.  Also, I will also need an engine mount for this engine.  Where can I get one?  That's just starters ...

David,  You probably wont get much info on here about that installation - Suggest you contact Richard Smith about it.  You can send him a message by pointing at his name and clicking on the "message" in the box that comes up.  EDMO

Posted

Hi David 

It's a great conversion and I have all the cad drawings for the engine mount, adapter plate and the centrifugal clutch if you need it. Where in the world are you and have you purchased an engine yet ? 

Thanks 

Richard 

1 person likes this

Posted

Hi Richard

Just to let you know I'm happy to hear someone else in this world has similar interests in the BMW conversion as described.  I live in New Jersey, USA.  ... and, yes I'm interested in getting more information necessary to complete this project.

Thanks

David

Posted

Hi Richard

Just to let you know I'm happy to hear someone else in this world has similar interests in the BMW conversion as described.  I live in New Jersey, USA.  ... and, yes I'm interested in getting more information necessary to complete this project.

Thanks

David

David, if you need someone to weld up the mounts and metal items for you I'm also in New Jersey and have the equipment to take care of that. Sadly I can't help you with the adapter though. I used to weld professionally but now just do it as a hobby and side business. If you get going with a conversion like this I'd sure be interested in seeing it as well. I'm always interested in new engine ideas and alternatives.

Posted

here's a short clip of a flight over the weekend and I'm sorry about the crappy recording on my phone but will get the go pro in soon and upload more.

1 person likes this

Posted

very cool

Posted (edited)

little clip from a flight 

Edited by Richard Smith
3 people like this

Posted

How is the bmw avid doing,what reductions ration, what is the installation weight ? 

Thx rjg 

Posted

Hi Rjg 

She is going very very well and runs on a rotax c box and the weight is 63 or 67 kgs. What engine install do you have.

Thanks

Richard 

Posted

We have a 1985 worrier in a 20 member club, new castle pa. I have a 11000 ‘ hayfield at 12000 msl.

I need a mk IV  WITH BMW OR kf5 with o200 d 

Posted

I believe to date that my avid is the only one flying with the bmw engine in the uk if not the world. You might find more kf5 with o200 tho.

Posted (edited)

I thought it was time to take out the old panel and install a new one so the avid will be out of action for a little while but I will post a picture with the new panel before it goes in Screenshot_20171122-212151.png

Edited by Richard Smith

Posted (edited)

this will be the new layout what do you guys think 

Screenshot_20171122-213649.png

Edited by Richard Smith

Posted (edited)

MGL extreme turned up today with sp6 and sp7 module.20171125_170210.jpg

Edited by Richard Smith

Posted

New Instrument panel starting to take shape 

20171127_153719.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Hi Rjg 

She is going very very well and runs on a rotax c box and the weight is 63 or 67 kgs. What engine install do you have.

Thanks

Richard 

Does that weight include the oil cooler and exhaust system?

Posted

Yeah that's all included 

Posted (edited)

Taking out the old seats and making some new ones.

20171215_095925.jpg

Edited by Richard Smith

Posted

Thats a very cool airplane! Do you have any pictures of the engine installation? Mike

Posted (edited)

Hi Mike thanks for that and it is a great little plane but im not to keen on the colour. I have lots what do you want to see ? This is me doing the annual service on the valve clearance. 

20161112_110229.jpg

Edited by Richard Smith
3 people like this

Posted

This is the final panel layout so now it's ready to be prepped and painted so the next pic will be with the panel installed.

20180107_184426.jpg

Posted (edited)

Hi guys 

Thought I'd post some pictures as I have now made my new seats and instrument panel so will need to fit them. Here they are what do you think ?   

20180201_154746.jpg

20180129_191643.jpg

Edited by Richard Smith
5 people like this