Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Landing gear stubshaft instalation

15 posts in this topic

Posted

I've been pretty busy at work so no play, sorry for my absence. Playing now though!!!

New bush gear and I have been fitting the axle shafts in the gear. So what do you use for corrosion between the two. I have had some one say to bed it in zinc chromate.... Or epoxy?

shaft_zpszo7xdnjl.jpg

PS still saving up money for a Carbon Cub! :rolleyes:

Posted

I just brushed a little grease on mine and bolted it together, Im sure you could do any type anti-seize 

1 person likes this

Posted

Personally I'd use anti-seize. I use it anywhere I have metal to metal installation that I don't want to freeze up or corrode. Especially where there are dissimilar metals involved like aluminum to steel. I purchased a small pint of it years ago when I was a mechanic for a living. I don't think I've even used up half of it and use it all the time. 

The problem with spraying it with any type of chromate is that you'll build up the diameter some Not to mention you're bound to get a few scratches in that while installing that can still corrode on you eventually. I suppose that if you have the space a couple light coats wouldn't hurt, then use anti-seize as well. 

Just like everything in this experimental world, you are the PIC and mechanic in charge so use your best judgement. 

2 people like this

Posted

I would use anti seize as well.  if they get bound up in there it's a BUGGER to get them out.  I have bent every set of axles I have had on my Avid when I had the 3/4" axles.

:BC:

Posted

Thanks guys!!! I thought about that too, but that is what a buddy of mine said. He worked on aircraft for years and actually found this one for me.

Posted

Anti-Sieze x3.

Posted (edited)

I would use anti seize as well.  if they get bound up in there it's a BUGGER to get them out.  I have bent every set of axles I have had on my Avid when I had the 3/4" axles.

Leni the axles that Matco sells are great they will be the last ones you will have to buy.  They are hollow so lighter but tuff as hell and believe me I have tested mine.  :o

The Matco part number is WhLA 22L.  The fuselage or the gear will bend but not the axle.

Edited by wypaul
1 person likes this

Posted

I guess I should have used some anti seize for test fitting. I had it almost perfect and it seized in the freakin' tube!!! :ph34r:

This happened once before and I got pissed and set it aside. I later unstuck it only to stick again!!!! UGH!!!

Posted

I guess I should have used some anti seize for test fitting. I had it almost perfect and it seized in the freakin' tube!!! :ph34r:

This happened once before and I got pissed and set it aside. I later unstuck it only to stick again!!!! UGH!!!

Sounds like it is time to polish the axle or ream the tube where the welding shrank it, or both?  EDMO

Posted

Or reach for the BIG hammer!  ;-)  JImChuk

Posted

I've been polishing it and been using a die grinder with those rolled sand paper things. Like 80 grit or so. I wanted to make the tightest fit I could so there would be no slop to wobble it out. Hammer is no good. And then I had a miss and hit the tube so there is a small dent there now... :(

Next I guess I'll soak it in a bucket of ice water, warm the tube with a low heat torch, and use a press to press it out... JEEEEEEEEBUSSS!!! My plane hates me!!!! LOL!

Posted

Or reach for the BIG hammer!  ;-)  JImChuk

Other wise known as a BFH. :)

1 person likes this

Posted

I made a puller out of some pipe and lengths of hardened all thread when mine were stuck.  I had to use an impact wrench to spin the nuts down and get them out as well as some heat on the tube.  It was after this that I used anti-seize any time I even went for a trial fit. 

2 people like this

Posted

Well I've been MIA. Been doing taxes, working on the house, etc, etc. And FINALLY got back on the gear. I had to "screw mine out" and yes, I used lube ever time I test fitted it after that which sucked as I had to spray brake cleaner to clean the oil before I started polishing the tub again. Damnation, what a pill!!! I was just about two throw them in the scrap and buy something that would just bolt up. LOL!!!

Thanks for the advice, Leni. I remember you saying something about changing the spring out and elongating the slots in the struts? Can you elaborate?

Thanks!!! :)

Posted

Oh yea, I kind of boogered up the powder coat in the process... :ph34r: So I am touching up with a bit of paint. I have all the holes drilled and everything is ready to bolt up. The only issue is I need the bolts that pin the axles in the gear. The others were corroded in the center where the axle is hollow. There is going to be some paint strayed in there next time!