Flaperon mafia

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Great morning and first time flying with all flaperon planes!! The yellow one is an Aerotek 220. With 100hp it rips! 

IMG_5302.JPG

IMG_5304.JPG

IMG_5310.JPG

IMG_5311.JPG

IMG_5313.JPG

IMG_5314.JPG

IMG_5315.JPG

IMG_5316.JPG

IMG_5317.JPG

IMG_5318.JPG

IMG_5319.JPG

Edited by C5Engineer
3 people like this

Posted

I've been wanting to get my flying fix for a while and this isn't helping Joey! I'm severely jealous. 

With the cooler temps here, the wind and rain we've had recently, combined with a lack of cabin heat, I have the airplane at home instead of at the field. 

Posted

I wonder what those tiny lights are on the nose of the Yellow plane - Do they work for landing or just taxi?  EDMO

Posted

Touchdown at Hammond. Uphill but plenty long.

IMG_5321.JPG

1 person likes this

Posted

I cant imagine flying to a mountain to land uphill - you are certainly 1-up on me Joey!  :BC:  EDMO

Posted

Great pics!

I like the EXPERIMENTAL placard on your plane Joey. :P

1 person likes this

Posted

Joey,

Are those the 27" Dessers on your plane? If so, how are they working out?  Running them tubleless, what pressure, and any slippage?  They do look to be in pretty good shape.  How are they holding up on the pavement? They do seem to be a lower cost for off-airport ops compared to the Bushwheels.

Comments?

thanks, Jackak 

Posted

Is that a IV or V Kitfox with the "smooth cowl"?

Posted

Great pictures as usual,looks like a fun day

Posted

Joey,

Are those the 27" Dessers on your plane? If so, how are they working out?  Running them tubleless, what pressure, and any slippage?  They do look to be in pretty good shape.  How are they holding up on the pavement? They do seem to be a lower cost for off-airport ops compared to the Bushwheels.

Comments?

thanks, Jackak 

yes they are the 27s running them at 4 psi tubeless on the 8" Kitfox rims. No slippage issues or leaks. I am lucky enough to have grass to land on but they seem to be wearing better than bushwheels. Cost is about 1/3 of bushwheels and talking to them it's because of the tooling involved between a 6" and 8" rim. 

Posted

Is that a IV or V Kitfox with the "smooth cowl"?

Model 4. That cowl is interesting and his sounds throatier than most 912s too.

Posted

IMG_5325.JPG

Posted

Thats a good looking plane.

The smooth cowl on the IV and early Vs looks stubby compared to the newer planes.  Not bad, just different.  It is a unique engine mount to that cowl, too.  The oil tank has to be "Frenched" into the firewall.  IMO, it doesn't really improve the visibility over the nose.  The glare shield and panel is the same as the round cowl and this is what obscures visibility.

I thought about this cowl on the Mangy, but these reasons are why I chose to just stay with the round cowl.  Not to mention that it was cheaper to run what I brung.

Posted (edited)

Didn't they move the bottom of the WS about 4" forward on the Kitfox Model 4 to try to get more speed?  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Thanks Joey.

Jackak

Posted

Great morning and first time flying with all flaperon planes!! The yellow one is an Aerotek 220. With 100hp it rips!

Excellent pictures and motivation from your article, thank you.

Regarding Aerotrek A220, do you (or mate) any feeling regarding "composite spring" type of main gear? Any impressions?

I will appreciate any information, thank you in advance.