Wing Ribs

40 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I doubt that any of my 4 Avids flew at a CG of 15" or more.  Usually probably around 13".   None had a heavy engine in front, but they all flew fine.  Maybe you're trying fix a problem that doesn't really exist.  Have you flown the plane at a more forward CG and don't like it?  :-)   JImChuk

If you are just trying to fix a "stick-heavy forward" and don't have a way to put the forward edge of the horizontal stabilizer farther down, and don't have a trim tab on the elevator, then you could add a simple aluminum tab to your elevator and bend it to trim the pressure on your controls.   Adjusting the flaperons up to about 3 degrees upward will also raise the nose, and you can always use the "Jim Chuk Method" of putting a bungee cord on the stick!

I think that moving the header tank and fuel pumps rearward will help your CG in a better way than adding weight to the tail, and maybe figure out how to carry some baggage too.   Tools are always nice to have with you.  

Two other things to consider are getting a lighter prop and if your radiator(s) location is in the nose, moving it to the belly will help.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I was just taking everyone suggestions on their experience that they handle much better with a 15" or more. Currently without making this modification my max load CG is low 12's and min CG is mid 11's. So I was just hoping to get closer to the middle if possible. Additionally I was thinking of making an adjustable bracket that'll allow me to move the header tank forward and back depending on how I felt she flew. Make small adjustments from there. 

I do have an electric trim on the elevator.

Posted

I'm not sure bout that fuel cell. I would do some testing on it, I would sure hate to see that filler cap start to leak,

And Jim that first video was pretty good I really thought you flipped for a sec there,

Posted (edited)

I'm not sure bout that fuel cell. I would do some testing on it, I would sure hate to see that filler cap start to leak,

And Jim that first video was pretty good I really thought you flipped for a sec there,

I was wondering about that cap too - Why would you need a cap on a header tank?  Could you replace that part with a solid plate?   It looks like the top plate is bolted on.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Glad you liked it.  I enjoy humor where ever I can find it.  ;-)   JImChuk

Posted

I was wondering about that cap too - Why would you need a cap on a header tank?  Could you replace that part with a solid plate?   It looks like the top plate is bolted on.   EDMO

i haven't taken a good look it's still in the box on the shelf but I recall when I first had it it's a very tight seal. But I will for sure test it out, and if need be, I can remove it and weld on a plate to seal it off completely. 

Posted

Glad you liked it.  I enjoy humor where ever I can find it.  ;-)   JImChuk

I thought the exact same. Gave me an "oh $h!t" moment 

Posted (edited)

i haven't taken a good look it's still in the box on the shelf but I recall when I first had it it's a very tight seal. But I will for sure test it out, and if need be, I can remove it and weld on a plate to seal it off completely. 

Looks to me like you could just unbolt the plate with the hole in it and make a solid one to bolt on top of the gasket.    

WARNING:  I read that this tank is foam-filled and cannot be used with Alcohol fuels!     EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Ah yes, that would be much easier. 

Posted

Looks to me like you could just unbolt the plate with the hole in it and make a solid one to bolt on top of the gasket.    

WARNING:  I read that this tank is foam-filled and cannot be used with Alcohol fuels!     EDMO

There is no need for foam to be in a header tank - the tank should be completely full at all times, so there should be no sloshing of fuel.  EDMO

Posted

There is no need for foam to be in a header tank - the tank should be completely full at all times, so there should be no sloshing of fuel.  EDMO

Thank you for the heads up EDMO, the funny part is I thought the foam inside was just to protect for shipping or something. I had full intentions of removing it and still will be. 

Thanks

Posted

Dump a little E-85 in there the foam will disappear

Posted (edited)

Dump a little E-85 in there the foam will disappear

Get a pint of 100 proof  grain alcohol and it will do the same job, or at least clean up what you cant dig out.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Just took it out of the box and all of the cubes were not adhered inside, just stuffed in. Probably why I originally thought it was for packing surfaces. 

Thanks for the help guys.

Posted

Nice Air-stream you have in that one picture.

Rick