Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

My latest excuse for not having time to work on the plane.

11 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm adding an addition to both sides of the house.  You can see the plane peeking out of the one car garage I was working out of.  It sure will be nice to have some extra space to work with.  

20161206_160222.jpg

20161207_085936.jpg

3 people like this

Posted

jeeezus you got some shit going on there! Why is it that we always start these projects when the Wx turns to crap, lol?

1 person likes this

Posted

So your new two car addition leads to a third "hidden" bay. That's nice! It would be sweet to have that much space to work in for sure. Especially after just having the old one car garage. 

Keep looking at your plane for motivation to finish up the addition and get back to work on it. ;)

Posted (edited)

I bought a house with an unfinished basement when I got divorced and moved to Arnold - My intent was to finish building my plane in the basement - needless to say, another woman came into my life and quickly cancelled those plans - she wanted a bedroom, family room, bathroom and laundry room in the basement.  I built all of that, and spent more building a work garage and a storage shed than another plane would have cost me.  Such is life!  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I'm guessing that if the new space over the garage is Master Bedroom, the old garage bay morphs into a new sewing room, bedroom, home office, home theater room etc. When Dad get a bigger garage, Mom and the kids will need some other special space of their own!

Posted (edited)

Actually I'm adding on to both sides.  the right side is a master bedroom and bath and the left side is a living room.  There will be a two car garage under both sides but the right side will have the existing garage with it too.  The wife gets the left side garage and I get the right.

I'm starting the work when the weather gets bad because that's when my guys and equipment become available because our other work slows down.  I own a home improvement company so we're building it ourselves . 

I've been in the house 15 years and we originally bought it as a starter home.  3 kids later and now the house is too small.  We don't want to change school districts and nothing else ever comes up for sale out here so I had to bite the bullet.

2016-12-08 15.13.36.png

Edited by gregpro50
3 people like this

Posted

Very nice Greg! Looks like a great way to have a "new" place without having to move. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Nice!  I'm getting ready to build a second hangar, wish I could twitch my nose and have that forklift here, the rental on those is ridiculous.

Mark

Posted (edited)

Nice!  I'm getting ready to build a second hangar, wish I could twitch my nose and have that forklift here, the rental on those is ridiculous.

Mark

I bought that forklift about 10 years ago.  It's a Skytrak 4270H that was an ex-rental unit from Admar.  It comes in real handy for jobs like this where you might lift something once a day or so but not use it enough to justify renting one.  I think I paid about $20k for it back then but it's paid for itself a couple times since I bought it.  Other than some minor issues and maintenance it's been a great machine for me.  The enclosed heated cab is sure nice in the winter too.

6408accc3370732a1076db554.jpg

Edited by gregpro50
2 people like this

Posted

Mark

I bought that forklift about 10 years ago.  It's a Skytrak 4270H that was an ex-rental unit from Admar.  It comes in real handy for jobs like this where you might lift something once a day or so but not use it enough to justify renting one.  I think I paid about $20k for it back then but it's paid for itself a couple times since I bought it.  Other than some minor issues and maintenance it's been a great machine for me.  The enclosed heated cab is sure nice in the winter too.

6408accc3370732a1076db554.jpg

I keep watching Ebay, but haven't seen one to buy yet.  I just don't need one often enough to justify it.  Once I build the new hangar, it probably wouldn't get used again.  So I'll pay the rental for that.  The man lift I need I'll keep watching though, that could be handy for a lot of things.  The sidewalls on the new hangar will be 18'.  I need a 14' clear opening to get my 5th wheel camper in (justification for wife), so I need a 16' door to get a 14' clear opening, and to get the 16' door, you have to have 18' sidewalls.  Like maintenance costs, one thing leads to another......

Mark

1 person likes this

Posted

Very nice. I sure wish you were closer. I am planning on doing an addition to my house soon.

Nice lift also. It is nice to have adequate equipment. 20K doesn't sound too bad. I've been trying to find a low time tracked excavator.... I won't even mention the price on those! ;)

1 person likes this