29 posts in this topic

Posted

I'll think I'll pass!

1 person likes this

Posted

Now that is something I would like to learn, Very cool

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I got airsick watching the video!  Reminds me of my first, and last, aerobatic instruction in a T34 with a WW2 instructor.  It's amazing what those small turbines will do.   Bet he cant land that on a sandbar!   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

hell yes ,sign me up that's awesome.i enjoyed that

Posted

I've always loved the design of the cri-cri. Putting two little jets on it really makes that thing perform. I'd take it up without hesitation for sure. 

Posted (edited)

Wouldn't those little jets be great attached to your struts!   That would be STOL!   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Wouldn't those little jets be great attached to your struts!   That would be STOL!   EDMO

Or under the fuse. JATO!!!! :flamegun:

I have no problem with aerobatics... As long as it is in a Christen Eagle, Citrabria, etc!

Posted

My dad and I have talked about a system like this as a backup "engine" so to speak. Basically think of it like a secondary if your engine cuts out it would give you a short time and extra glide to get to a suitable landing area. With my "luck" it has crossed my mind to install them on the struts for sure! I'd take the drag penalty! 

Posted (edited)

My dad and I have talked about a system like this as a backup "engine" so to speak. Basically think of it like a secondary if your engine cuts out it would give you a short time and extra glide to get to a suitable landing area. With my "luck" it has crossed my mind to install them on the struts for sure! I'd take the drag penalty! 

Kenneth,  My thoughts were to put them on the struts, or on my Grove gear, and put the kerosene in the football tanks on the struts - maybe keep you off the golf course, or out of a short field.... Bet they are costly tho.   EdMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Bet there not to bad when compared to a Rotax in price

Kenneth,  My thoughts were to put them on the struts, or on my Grove gear, and put the kerosene in the football tanks on the struts - maybe keep you off the golf course, or out of a short field.... Bet they are costly tho.   EdMO

I bet there not to bad when compared to a Rotax in price

Posted

Bet there not to bad when compared to a Rotax in price

I bet there not to bad when compared to a Rotax in price

I was wondering how long they take to spool-up, and how much altitude you would lose in that time.   EdMO

Posted

http://www.jetcatusa.com/rc-turbines/turbine-details/p200-sx/

52 pounds of thrust for $4300

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/jc-p220-rxi.html

48 pounds for $4700

Ed, you'll probably need four of these to get that monster you're building off the ground.  By then you could have gotten a brand new Rotax ULS that will last more than 100 hours.

1 person likes this

Posted

Wow 5 lbs is all they weigh? That's Sweet, Sonex also has a Jet engine, Not sure what it is,

52 lbs thrust, wonder what My leaf blower has

Posted (edited)

http://www.jetcatusa.com/rc-turbines/turbine-details/p200-sx/

52 pounds of thrust for $4300

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/jc-p220-rxi.html

48 pounds for $4700

Ed, you'll probably need four of these to get that monster you're building off the ground.  By then you could have gotten a brand new Rotax ULS that will last more than 100 hours.

"More than 100 hours"? ??? My $2500 Soob will last about 2000 to 3000 hours more than that, and an overhaul is less than $500!  Maybe you meant 1000 hours?   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Easy, Ed.  I meant the toy jet engines.

I know your precious Suby will run for 10,000 hours never needing any maintenance and make 5000 hp at 2 gph...  

1 person likes this

Posted

I did the math, and the first one burns almost 12 gallons an hour at full throttle.   Not sure this is the same for a comparison,, but a 447 rotax 40 HP engine I had would pull about 240 lbs static thrust on a scale.  Again, don't know if it's an accurate comparison, but if 40 HP makes 240 lbs of thrust, 52 lbs = 8.67 HP.   I guess it would extend the glide somewhat, but you better not need to climb over anything.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

Easy, Ed.  I meant the toy jet engines.

I know your precious Suby will run for 10,000 hours never needing any maintenance and make 5000 hp at 2 gph...  

Yep!  The Army gave our school two HU1E helicopters - Seems like they had one engine part that was timed out and it cost $250K, or more, to replace.  I cant afford turbines or the maintenance - heck, I cant even afford a Rotax on my retiredment!  ;<)  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

I did the math, and the first one burns almost 12 gallons an hour at full throttle.   Not sure this is the same for a comparison,, but a 447 rotax 40 HP engine I had would pull about 240 lbs static thrust on a scale.  Again, don't know if it's an accurate comparison, but if 40 HP makes 240 lbs of thrust, 52 lbs = 8.67 HP.   I guess it would extend the glide somewhat, but you better not need to climb over anything.  JImChuk

I guess it's all in the size of the fan - bigger fans and high rpms = more thrust - I couldn't believe how much power that little Allison 250 put out for the most powerful versions of it.  If I could afford one....

Anyone know how thrust compares to weight of plane?   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Yeah, we were never serious about it at all but it did get us thinking about what kind of systems (like jato, etc) might be able to be used for something like this. Of course it wouldn't be to climb, to keep going or anything like that. Just extend the glide. In my last two engine outs I have been below a point where I could return to the airport. Two minutes at a level attitude would have gotten me back around or to the airport in both cases. It was more a tongue in cheek comment on these engines. I know they aren't cost affordable to hang as a secondary but it was just a conversation we had. Nothing more. A BRS chute also would have done me no good in either condition since I was too low for proper deployment. That's what got us thinking about this idea in the first place. 

Posted

Yes Kenneth,  You definitely need some JATO to get you up to some better altitude quicker - and extend your glide!  :BC:  EDMO

Posted

Hey Kenneth, I wasn't knocking you or your idea, I just kind of took the idea and ran with it.  I was just posting what I came up with.  :-)  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

It's like the guy said when he landed the Kitfox 1 in a tree, "another 3 feet up and I would have cleared it"!   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

And a few feet left or right may have had a different outcome also:)

Posted

Excellent video, excellent aircraft.

I am waiting for my first flight with CriCri next spring. This summer i had opportunity just to sit in the cockpit, but I need to perform all setup of the plane according my shape and weight. The reason is that aircraft empty weight is 64 kg (141 pounds) only.  Owner and builder of this aircraft asked me for flying this plane, but I decided to do it next year about May due to good weather required.

Our CriCri has two engines each of 20HP so it is not so powerful as jet version, but still excellent performer.

I will send picture later today , slow internet connection in work.

Posted

Jenki,  you mention that your CriCri has 20 HP engines, and that is not as powerful as the jet version.  Is the jet powered one using the 52 lb thrust jet engines mentioned in Av8r 3400's post?  If so, 52 lbs of thrust is a different way of measuring for power output then tieing off the back of a plane to a scale like I did to get a static thrust measurement where I got about 240 lbs with 40 HP.  Like I said, not arguing or trying to start one, just trying to understand how the thrust is measured on the jet engine.  JImChuk