Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Sharing a hangar sucks sometimes

10 posts in this topic

Posted

My hangar mate and I have gone rounds a few times in the past already. He is building a Cozy MKIII. He is in the very early stages and the fuse looks basically like a bathtub right now. He has told me multiple times not to even TOUCH any of his stuff in the hangar because stuff is lined up and curing ect...understandable..not like I'm going to go pull some piece off a jig and screw with it. Anyways while I was gone on my mission overseas he texts me to inform that he dropped his fuse on my elevator trying to flip it over and made a mark on my paint. I was a bit upset but it's just latex so an easy fix accidents happen. THEN he informed me that he took a can of rattle can and tried to fix it himself!! He got overspray all over my blue scallops on my horizontal and the paint was not even a close match. I think he was trying to hide it.

I'm still trying to fathom how I can't touch his junk but it's cool for him to spray rattle can all over my $4000 paint job. I'm looking for other arrangements at the moment. Guys who have $300+ extra money laying around to drop on their hangars every month are lucky.

Posted

Man, that's awful. Some people are just so self absorbed that the world does not exist outside of themselves.

Here's to you finding better, and cheaper accommodations really soon: :beerchug:

(and for the record, welcome home.)

Posted

I went out to the hangar today and went flying. Where he scratched it looks fine but I guess he has never spray painted because he got a ton of overspray everywhere.

IMG_5519.jpg

IMG_5518.jpg

It sucks because it's one of those things that is not bad enough to fix but it's bad enough that everytime I do my preflight it's going to piss me off. Oh well at least it didn't mess up the fabric.

Posted

If the paint is over latex, it will be easy to clean it up, almost nothing will remove dried latex, wipe it off with some MEK or better yet get your Hanger mate to do it for you for being so stupid and inconsiderate.

Posted

If the paint is over latex, it will be easy to clean it up, almost nothing will remove dried latex, wipe it off with some MEK or better yet get your Hanger mate to do it for you for being so stupid and inconsiderate.

Be damn careful and test in a small place first.. may be able to hit it with a scotch bright pad to take the overspray off too.... I would go down to the street corner, find a couple rattle can artists, buyem a case of paint and turn them loose on his plane...

:BC:

Posted

It's Randolph Butyrate. MEK will wipe it off like water unfortunately.

Posted

It's Randolph Butyrate. MEK will wipe it off like water unfortunately.

So your A&P friend did dope on the wings and h-tail, but you did the latex on the fuselage? Man, that's a shame.

:banghead:

Posted

So your A&P friend did dope on the wings and h-tail, but you did the latex on the fuselage? Man, that's a shame.

:banghead:

Yes the fuse was painted in Aerothane and there is not much you can do with it. I had my latex matched to the Randolph Insignia white..it's a perfect match. Someday I'll recover the fuse but it looks great for now. In fact I got some compliments on it today at another airport I flew to.

Posted

I went out to the hangar today and went flying. Where he scratched it looks fine but I guess he has never spray painted because he got a ton of overspray everywhere.

IMG_5519.jpg

IMG_5518.jpg

It sucks because it's one of those things that is not bad enough to fix but it's bad enough that everytime I do my preflight it's going to piss me off. Oh well at least it didn't mess up the fabric.

Is that the white overspray on the blue or a blue metalflake paint?

Posted

Yes that was overspray where my hangar mate sprayed Krylon on my Randolph coated Horizontal stab.