Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

'89 Avid kit: Help me make a deal!

73 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi guys! I'm a new guy and I need some input. I'm seriously considering buying a1989 model "C" Heavy Hauler kit. An 'ol guy, Rodney, bought it off a widow woman. Her husband bought it in '89 and the only thing he ever did to it was to primer the fuse, nothing else. Rodney told a friend of mine, who told me about it, that he stoled it! (figure of speech). It came with a 532 and a round "Kitfox" cowl. He said he had some steam gauges, different radiator, strobes and some other goodies. There is no fabric, but there is Poly-Fiber dope, which may or may not be any good. There is no build manual or any other paperwork with it. Fact of the matter, I don't know if it's all there! Big Question!: If it's not, can I get parts? Also,I'm thinking that, if I were to get it, a 582 would go on, instead of the 532. All this stuff has been setting in a barn for 27 years! I'm thinking that if I could get it for $3500, that be fair if he kept the 532. Whadda' think?

Wyatt

Posted (edited)

Lots of questions here I will try to help. Welcome to the forum!!

I have 2 build manuals and they are available electronically on this site so that's not a big deal. The early kits required that the builder fab a lot of parts. Ask yourself if you are inclined to actually build and manufacture parts. 582 is the way to go. 532s are pretty antiquated. Parts are available but they require you get creative to find them now. Chances are any electronics are also not worth much. In my opinion $3500 is a bit high. Complete airframes without an engine that are close to flying are selling for less than that. If it is truly complete and no corrosion or age damage you may have found a cool time capsule. 

Edited by C5Engineer

Posted

Stole it off a poor old widow women, that's gotta make it easy to sleep at night. I would probably buy it if it were close to me,

1 person likes this

Posted

Hi guys! I'm a new guy and I need some input. I'm seriously considering buying a1989 model "C" Heavy Hauler kit. An 'ol guy, Rodney, bought it off a widow woman. Her husband bought it in '89 and the only thing he ever did to it was to primer the fuse, nothing else. Rodney told a friend of mine, who told me about it, that he stoled it! (figure of speech). It came with a 532 and a round "Kitfox" cowl. He said he had some steam gauges, different radiator, strobes and some other goodies. There is no fabric, but there is Poly-Fiber dope, which may or may not be any good. There is no build manual or any other paperwork with it. Fact of the matter, I don't know if it's all there! Big Question!: If it's not, can I get parts? Also,I'm thinking that, if I were to get it, a 582 would go on, instead of the 532. All this stuff has been setting in a barn for 27 years! I'm thinking that if I could get it for $3500, that be fair if he kept the 532. Whadda' think?

Wyatt

I have a 582 for it in the for sale section of this forum.

Posted

Welcome Wyatt, here's my .02...

If the kit was purchased new and has only been through one owner change since, you might think chances are good that most or all of the original factory supplied parts are there. But your description suggests otherwise to me. It would be terrific if the pile of parts included the original factory 'pull sheets'. Basically, that is the parts inventory for the kit which was used to ensure all the correct and included kit parts actually were pulled and shipped to the buyer. This is pure gold as it provides detailed descriptions of each and every part needed to build your plane vs. what was shipped. The kit parts were grouped into 'sub-kits' on the pull sheets. Parts were individually marked with part numbers when supplied by Avid. Look for it and check off the parts being sold by Rodney against the pull sheets. That is the only way to determine with certainty exactly what you are buying with regard to completeness.

I don't recall if anyone has posted the Avid C model pull sheets on site, however, if you search you will find I posted the pull sheets for both my Avid Mk4 HH and Avid Plus kits. In a pinch, the former might be of some help ie., the #'s might not carry over exactly but you will have all the individual part descriptions. We've seen recently that not everyone wants to put in this amount of effort before purchasing (and many sellers don't want you to do it either, for obvious reason when they claim a "complete" kit for sale) but, because there are a LOT of parts in a kit which will all add up quickly if you need to buy or fabricate missing parts, I would not proceed without making the effort.

It is interesting that it includes a KF cowl, perhaps Avid sold it originally as a FWB kit. That obviously needs to be taken into consideration when figuring price, as there are a lot of parts in the FWF sub kit you will need in addition to the engine itself. That 532 engine, even if never run, is not a particularly desirable item and the substitution of the KF for Avid cowl set is problematic, as it will require custom engine mount fabrication due to design and engine orientation and C/L differences of KF vs. Avid. Any epoxy adhesive and Dope is no longer good. Keep in mind that new fabric, covering and paint supplies are not cheap (search onsite and you will find material estimates to cove and paint an Avid Flyer. Most important to me is the lack of any paperwork, from Avid or otherwise. All in all, I tend to agree with the previous comments that $3500 might be high...

Clearly, condition comes into play as well so f you can you grab and post pics it would help us help you. 

Posted

Thanks guys for gettin' back to me! I looked around in here for those Mk4 "pull sheets" that were mentioned, also ran a search, but came up empty. I did see the manuals. Is the 582 mentioned for sale "gray head"? I also saw an "introduction section", and if y'all would like, I'll properly introduce myself. I'm gonna go talk to the 'ol guy, Rodney, tomorrow. I'm hopin' to look 'er over again and take some pictures that I could send. Ain't no deal gonna be made though. Never start somethin' on a Friday, it's bad luck. 

Y'all have a Merry Christmas!

Posted (edited)

Welcome to the site Wyatt Jesse - Where are you located?  There is a "Introduce yourself" section on here, and it never hurts to let us know more about you.  As you have probably figured out, photos show more than writing, and about anything you ask on here will get you more answers than anywhere else.  The 1200 or so flyers on here are a great bunch.   I agree with what the others have said about the Avid - but could add that you can always weld in some mounts to match a Kitfox engine mount and have the engine mounted "plugs up" and use the round cowl.  You would not be the first to have an Avid with the round Kitfox cowl - some think it is neat-looking.   And,  although the 532 engine is mostly a boat-anchor now, the exhaust, carbs, redrive and starter can be sold for some good $$$.   If you need a Kitfox mount, I have one for sale.  Merry Christmas to you,  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

If it has what is described as a round kitfox type cowl, what you are probably looking at is that aftermarket cowl that Lee Dubay developed for the avids. Avid did offer it with their kits as an option for a while. Called it the Avid Avenger package. 

Posted

O.K. Boys! I did it. Couldn't stand it any longer! Deal will be done tomorrow. $3500 and Rodney's keepin' the engine. Gonna start movin' her home next week. Y'all ain't heard the last of me, just the beginning! I'll try not to be a pain in the ...!

Thanks for the pull sheets!

wyatt

I'll introduce myself in that section, or what ever it's called.

Merry Christmas!

1 person likes this

Posted

Congrats on the purchase! Merry Christmas to YOU

Posted (edited)

If it has what is described as a round kitfox type cowl, what you are probably looking at is that aftermarket cowl that Lee Dubay developed for the avids. Avid did offer it with their kits as an option for a while. Called it the Avid Avenger package. 

Here is a picture of my first Avid Flyer.  It had been rebuilt by Lee Dubay.  It has the round cowl.  It did stick up way higher than it needed to, so I ended up making another.  I still have that cowl in my hangar.  JImChuk

Avid Homecoming 006.jpg

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

Here is my Kitfox 1.  Notice the difference in the cowls.  JImChuk

DSCN0021.JPG

Posted

Jim,  Is that round Avid cowl in fewer pieces than the 4-piece Kitfox cowl?   EDMO

Posted

It almost looks like one of those hideous "round cowls" somebody used to sell for the Just airplanes...  Highwing, maybe?

Posted

O.K. Boys! I did it. Couldn't stand it any longer! Deal will be done tomorrow. $3500 and Rodney's keepin' the engine. Gonna start movin' her home next week. Y'all ain't heard the last of me, just the beginning! I'll try not to be a pain in the ...!

Thanks for the pull sheets!

wyatt

I'll introduce myself in that section, or what ever it's called.

Merry Christmas!

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the forum. Remember we all love pictures and for the most part don't believe anything unless you can "show it"! ;) 

Merry Christmas to you as well. 

Posted

Jim,  Is that round Avid cowl in fewer pieces than the 4-piece Kitfox cowl?   EDMO

Yes.  It was 3 pieces..  A boot cowl, and the front top and bottom.  JImChuk

Posted

Call me weird but I like the round cowl. Does anyone sell those for a mk4 ?

Posted (edited)

Call me weird but I like the round cowl. Does anyone sell those for a mk4 ?

I doubt if you can buy a new one now, but Jim 1avidflyer said he had one in his hanger - ask him, and also if it will fit a Mk4 - If he can stop fishing and sunburning for a while in the South - We just sent some more snow and ice to his home in MN.   I sold a Kitfox round cowl to a guy who was going to put it on an Avid - I don't know if I have enough spare parts to make another one.  I think Kitfox still sells them, but new ones are $pendy!   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I used the boot cowl with the new cowl I made.  Just have the two front parts.  To each his own, and everyone likes different things,  but the reason I got rid of it and built a new one was to get better visibility over the nose.  It might be a bit lower than a Kitfox cowl, but not by much.  I like to see what's ahead of me, especially when landing or taking off.  JImChuk

Posted

I used the boot cowl with the new cowl I made.  Just have the two front parts.  To each his own, and everyone likes different things,  but the reason I got rid of it and built a new one was to get better visibility over the nose.  It might be a bit lower than a Kitfox cowl, but not by much.  I like to see what's ahead of me, especially when landing or taking off.  JImChuk

Me too - that's why I like a nose-dragger!  ;<))  EDMO

Posted

What's the boot part look like ? If you wanted to sell the 2 pieces I might be interested . Side note weird is my thing . I'm easily spotted at the airport . Only guy there with tattoos covering most of my body. haha

Posted

You can see the boot cowl in this picture fairly well.  JImChuk

Avid Homecoming 004.jpg

Posted

I can use my old one to make it work . Now if I could find wheel pants for a 6-6.00ain tire and 5-5.00 nose I'd be in business