Followers 0

'89 Avid kit: Help me make a deal!

73 posts in this topic

Posted

I've got a set for the mains. 

Posted

For 6-6.00 ? 

Posted (edited)

If you are serious about wanting the Avid cowl, it will have to wait till I get home around mid March.  JImChuk

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

What's the damage going to be ? I'm not in a hurry just gathering stuff before I do the fabric over and paint it . Oh will it work with a 582 ?

Posted

It was covering a 582 before I changed it out.  When I get home, I'll take some pics and send them to you if you still want it.  We can hash out the details then maybe.  JImChuk

Posted

No problem , as long as it is salvageable I'm interested . My wife even gave the thumbs up on the look it would give the plane . 

Posted (edited)

I've got a set of 3 pants for a Cessna 150 / 172 that should work - need to check condition after rough trip from Alaska - I am same way, probably cant get to them until warmer weather - got too much stuff to move to get to them.  Actually, its my condition - not so much the weather - Got to find some help.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I can use my old one to make it work . Now if I could find wheel pants for a 6-6.00ain tire and 5-5.00 nose I'd be in business 

I believe I have wheel pants for both of those as well. Let me look when I get home tomorrow. 

Posted

I started Saturday movin' the kit home. Lo 'n behold I found the builder's manual and pull sheets! Oh happy days! Could y'all tell me if the engine mount that came for a 532 will work on a 582? When it comes to engine cowl, I prefer a more conventional one. A cowl like what you would find on a Cessna. There's an Avid on Barnstormers in NY that's fine lookin' plane. Of course it's a ways down the road, but I would consider some sort of swap for that round cowl. It's 3 piece: top, bottom and scoop.

Posted

I started Saturday movin' the kit home. Lo 'n behold I found the builder's manual and pull sheets! Oh happy days! Could y'all tell me if the engine mount that came for a 532 will work on a 582? When it comes to engine cowl, I prefer a more conventional one. A cowl like what you would find on a Cessna. There's an Avid on Barnstormers in NY that's fine lookin' plane. Of course it's a ways down the road, but I would consider some sort of swap for that round cowl. It's 3 piece: top, bottom and scoop.

Kitfox used the same mount for both engines, although there was one of a later design made - I would think they would be the same for Avids, although the Avid and Kitfox mounts don't interchange - Kitfox engines are plugs up, and Avid is plugs down.   The cowl you have is not the typical Avid - most are smooth and sort of like the Cessnas.   EDMO

Posted

Motor mount should work for both engines.  Not sure which mount you have,  there was a later one that was supposed to reduce engine vibrations.  Here is a picture of the original mount.  In this picture, there is an added piece that holds the radiators in place,  that was not original.   The later mounts had 2 pieces of aluminum that bolted to the engine, and used lord mounts to absorb the vibration.  JIChuk

New B model Avid 032 (Large).jpg

Posted

Found a picture of an eze smooth mount.  Notice the rectangle shaped tubing, and the aluminum pieces bolted to the engine mounting bolts.  JImChuk

New Avid 013.jpg

Posted

I have the standard cowl and want a round one . I'd consider a swap . 

Posted (edited)

I can use my old one to make it work . Now if I could find wheel pants for a 6-6.00ain tire and 5-5.00 nose I'd be in business 

I believe I have wheel pants for both of those as well. Let me look when I get home tomorrow. 

Let me know when you get to it . 

Edited by chopndrag
Email me at Chopndrag@yahoo.com when you get pictures of the cowl and wheel pants .

Posted

Tuesday the 27th we trailered the rest of my kit home. I'm now in the process of inventorying pieces and parts. I have a pretty good idea of how I'm gonna organize, there sure is a lot of "stuff"! The deal wasn't as good as I figured. When I picked it up, Rodney said the prop and spinner stayed with the engine. The deal was, I bought the kit minus the engine. Oh well, live and learn. I did call him back this morning and offered $250 for the prop and spinner. He's thinkin' about it. 

I did find the ser# 504 on one of the pull sheets. Like I said, I'm in process of inventorying everything. I have to weld on the rudder peddle support, which was broken. I don't have a tig welder, so I'll gas weld it. Since it's chrom alloy, I'm sure it's a specific rod. Anyone tell me what it is? The only other damage I've found so far is a small dimple on the flaperon. It's very small, inside of the inborn hinge. Be o.k. I think.

In Barnstormers I did I saw a kit for $2K, damn I gave $3500! Here' pictures of what I have:

Posted (edited)

Wyatt,  What kind of prop and spinner, and what size?  The members on here can probably tell you if it is worth $250.  Chrome-Moly is 4130 steel, and there is a filler rod of the same number, but I don't dare tread where an educated welder "Akflyer" and others may know more than I do.   Your serial number "504" will probably give someone like 1avidflyer or dholly a clue to which kit you have, and how much gross weight it is designed for.   Another thing to watch out for is if it has aluminum tanks - these were not good.   Keep posting.  Photos are great, but I didn't see any.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I would say the 504# would make it a C model. Pictures are always nice.  They tell more than words often times.   JImChuk

Posted

Went flying yesterday around Weeki Wachee and definitely want wheel pants and a round nose after being called a cassna by another airplane . 

Posted

Went flying yesterday around Weeki Wachee and definitely want wheel pants and a round nose after being called a cassna by another airplane . 

Don't sweat it - High winged planes at a distance are either Cessna or Piper - Just answer the call and tell them what you are, or ignore them - At least, they see you!   EDMO

Posted

Yeah but it still got me wanting the cowl and wheel pants alot more now. 

Posted

The spinner was a fiberglass blank. Other than being a wooden 2 blade prop, I don't know. That being said if Rodney don't take it, I'll be lookin' for both. Really would prefer a warp 3 blade. Why? The only thing I know is, I like the way it looks. If these pictures work (think I have it, had to click a button in settings), y'all can see the cowl, engine mount and fiberglass fuel tanks.

Still going through parts,

Wyatt

Oh hey! On Barnstormers there' a '07, 17hr 582 blue head for $3900. It come off a parachute. Don'know if it's electric start. I'm interested.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Posted (edited)

I cant advise on the prop since we don't know what it is - Some like the IVO instead of Warp Drive and say it runs smoother?

There was a 582 on ebay for $1500 - donno anything about it.   One of our members had one in the "For Sale" section.    EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I'll take that cowl off your hands . I have the regular one and would love to change it out.

Posted

I have a 582 with everything firewall forward for sale on this site.  Make me an offer.  It has a mark IV mount and cheek radiators which will fit your plane.

Thanks

Posted

That cowl sure looks like the one that was on my first Avid.  My guess on the prop is that it may have been a Perry prop.  There is one advertised on here now for 250.  These were the props that Avid supplied with kits sometimes.  I had good performance from the one I had.  A new prop and spinner would be a good price for $250.  If you go with a 3 blade warp, and a B box, that's a pretty heavy prop for that gearbox.  I am getting real good performance with a 2 blade Warp 70" taper tip prop on my Kitfox 1 582 with B box.  Not as smooth as a 3 blade though.  JImChuk