Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

'89 Avid kit: Help me make a deal!

73 posts in this topic

Posted

That cowl sure looks like the one that was on my first Avid.  My guess on the prop is that it may have been a Perry prop.  There is one advertised on here now for 250.  These were the props that Avid supplied with kits sometimes.  I had good performance from the one I had.  A new prop and spinner would be a good price for $250.  If you go with a 3 blade warp, and a B box, that's a pretty heavy prop for that gearbox.  I am getting real good performance with a 2 blade Warp 70" taper tip prop on my Kitfox 1 582 with B box.  Not as smooth as a 3 blade though.  JImChuk

Jim,  Correct me if I am wrong on this:  My understanding is that the lighter IVO 3-blade prop runs smoother than the heavier 3-blade Warp Drive prop, and the IVO is a lot less stress on the gearbox.  I don't know how the performance compares between the two props.   EDMO 

Posted

I don't know if the 3 blade IVO would be any smoother than the 3 blade warp, but the IVO would be was easier on a B gearbox.  I know the 3 blade IVO is a good bit smoother than the 2 blade warp.  Not as good of performance though.  JImChuk

Posted

I should have decent data on this soon. New bird has a 3 bladed Warp tapered tip. I've flown 300 hours with my 2 bladed tapered tip warp and 100 on my 3 bladed Ivo. A 3 bladed Ivo def runs smoother than a two bladed warp but like Jim said I not convinced on the performance.

Posted (edited)

I should have decent data on this soon. New bird has a 3 bladed Warp tapered tip. I've flown 300 hours with my 2 bladed tapered tip warp and 100 on my 3 bladed Ivo. A 3 bladed Ivo def runs smoother than a two bladed warp but like Jim said I not convinced on the performance.

Joey,  If I had to fly in the territory you fly in I would not leave the ground unless I had the NSI and WD on the nose!  Is your new plane with a 912?  Finally, a 4-stroker?   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Nope another 2 smoke Ed but this one is my project bed for a 4 stroke although it'll prob be a Yamaha turning 9500 rpm on takeoff.

Posted (edited)

Nope another 2 smoke Ed but this one is my project bed for a 4 stroke although it'll prob be a Yamaha turning 9500 rpm on takeoff.

I would go with the Yamma too!  I just got my Kitplanes mag today with the engine buyers section - some interesting engines coming soon, but a little late for me to change now.   I have about decided maybe that the best I can do now is to get the bare bones of my bird put together and let someone else cover and finish it and enjoy the flying.   The clock keeps ticking!   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

So with chopndrag's cowl, Iv2plyguitar's FWF, this boy could be set pretty good. First: Hey chopndrag, you got paint on that cowl? And I'm thinking that we'd have to swap the boot cowls too. Second: Hey Iv2plyguitar, what'cha got? Is it a gray or blue head? What's TT/SMOH? I talked to the gut in Texas with the 17hr blue head. It's got an "E" drive that turns with a 3:1 ratio. He's spinnin' a 4 blade prop (pusher). I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work on a 2/3 blade prop. Let me ask, could a guy get tractor blades for a 4 bladed prop, has anybody seen such a thing on a kit built airplane? I'm thinkin', and I know that's dangerous, that with a 4 bladed prop with that round cowl, you'd have an awesome lookin' airplane. Just a thought. 

Lookin' at the kit and for some reason the jury strut attachment brackets were deleted. I did find 4 unidentified brackets. I'll send a picture of what I found. Any ideas?

Wyatt

Edited by 3CW
Didn't get picture in.

Posted

I'll try again. I'll get the hang of this eventually!

image.jpeg

Posted (edited)

That looks like a jury strut fitting.   With a 3:1 gear ratio you should be able to swing a larger diameter 3-blade prop - You might have to put a tall Bush gear (landing gear) or larger tires on it to keep enough ground clearance for prop?  Yes, you can get 4, 5, 6 blade puller props.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

The more blades a prop has, the less efficient it is.  With the 3-1 ratio, a 70" 3 blade, or at least 72 " 2 blade is probably in order.  Avid actually supplied a 74 X 49" 2 blade wood prop with the 3-1 gear box setup, and it worked good.  As far as getting different prop blades for the 4 blade hub, the blades are made to be either right hand, or left hand.  Just thinking, and guessing:  Is it an ultra prop?  They only are made to 59" diameter, and therefor that's probably how many blades you would need to soak up the power from a 582.  The ultra prop is not a very good prop.  They are loud, and not real efficient.  They are pretty tough though.   I wouldn't get to excited about a prop at this stage, or maybe even the motor.  You have lots of work before you will need them, and if you keep your eyes open, deals come along when you aren't in a rush.  Actually, it maybe seems like a great deal shows up right after you bought something and it's to late to get the great deal  ;-)   JImChuk

Posted (edited)

The more blades a prop has, the less efficient it is.  With the 3-1 ratio, a 70" 3 blade, or at least 72 " 2 blade is probably in order.  Avid actually supplied a 74 X 49" 2 blade wood prop with the 3-1 gear box setup, and it worked good.  As far as getting different prop blades for the 4 blade hub, the blades are made to be either right hand, or left hand.  Just thinking, and guessing:  Is it an ultra prop?  They only are made to 59" diameter, and therefor that's probably how many blades you would need to soak up the power from a 582.  The ultra prop is not a very good prop.  They are loud, and not real efficient.  They are pretty tough though.   I wouldn't get to excited about a prop at this stage, or maybe even the motor.  You have lots of work before you will need them, and if you keep your eyes open, deals come along when you aren't in a rush.  Actually, it maybe seems like a great deal shows up right after you bought something and it's to late to get the great deal  ;-)   JImChuk

Agree with Jim's statements above.   Most props with more than 3 blades are for Airboats, where you want to keep the engine mounted as low as possible - Some Airboat builders get an engine that has too much hp for what they need, and use the less-efficient multi-bladed props to load the engine.   Yes, some warplanes used 4-blade props, and the engines were really powerful.   One of them, the F4U Corsair, had so much power that if you quickly opened the throttle, it would rotate the entire plane.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Mine is painted a ugly blue but I can sand it down and all if you wanted . I don't mind sending my whole set up as its already fitted together . I run a 3 blade tapered warp drive with a c box running 3 to 1 and get great performance . 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Not wanting to get in the middle of your trades, but you each may be shocked if you try to ship these cowls by the post office - Starting last year, they charge an extra $50 plus postage for "oversize" items.  The cheapest way I have found to ship large light fiberglass parts is by Grayhound bus.  UPS might be another possibility, but check it out first.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I'm a little naive on the bus thing . How does that work ?

Posted (edited)

I'm a little naive on the bus thing . How does that work ?

I am not an expert, but in my case I ordered a Magnum boot cowl and the sender sent it in a BIG box by Grayhound.  I had to go into St. Louis to the Grayhound package station to pick it up.  This was the least expensive.  Grayhound has a package or shipping site and I think it is called Grayhound Express.  I believe they will also deliver to your door, but of course that costs lots extra.  Sioux201 is supposed to ship an Avid cabin-forward fuselage to me soon, and he knows more about Grayhound shipping than I do.  He said they used to ship garage door springs by bus without even boxing them. ???  You guys will have to check it out - probably there is a package place in North Pole, Fairbanks or Anchorage?  I forget where you are located.  There is an outfit in Anchorage that ships big containers South with peoples stuff in them - I shipped a tool box, Lathe and milling machine from Anchorage to Missouri that way.   UPS Ground shipping might be another possibility?   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Here is yet another round cowl, or nearly round anyway.  It might give more vision over the top of the cowl.   If you look at about  4.05 of the video, you will see he has been practicing the Jim Chuk method of landing.  Just about got it nailed, maybe one more bounce and he would have it  ;-)  Well it is getting better...really  JImChuk

3 people like this

Posted

Anyone know what country would have the registration starting with "OK"?  Never saw a Kitfox cowl like that before.   EDMO

Posted (edited)

That's not actually a bad looking cowl.  Looks like an early Avid cowl that was widened in the front...

OK is Czech Republic.

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

Here is yet another round cowl, or nearly round anyway.  It might give more vision over the top of the cowl.   If you look at about  4.05 of the video, you will see he has been practicing the Jim Chuk method of landing.  Just about got it nailed, maybe one more bounce and he would have it  ;-)  Well it is getting better...really  JImChuk

Jim, do you do the two bounce takeoff as well? ha ha 

Posted

Jim, do you do the two bounce takeoff as well? ha ha 

On my better days I am capable of performing that type of takeoff.  ;-) JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Can I still run my radiators up front with the round cowl ? Just wondering what I'm in for when I go to change it out 

Posted

Mine had two radiators inside the cowl, but also one under the belly of the plane.  Biggest problem for not cooling is the air  doesn't go through the radiator.  It will much rather try to go around it than through it.  If the radiators were ducted to force the air through them it may cool better.  I think there is a reason Kitfox went with the under belly radiator instead of the nose radiators.  JImChuk

Posted

I'm sure I can make a duct system to get good air flow . Even in the Florida heat my plane takes a while to get to operating temperature .