FS: Peery Propeller 71"x37" in mint shape

22 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi everyone I have for sale the sought after scimitar Peery Propeller 71"x37" that used to be sold with the avid kits.   These props are said to be very efficient and produce great numbers. I installed this prop on my avid speedwing and was able to get 85mph at half power with no wing fairings installed.  Unfortunately my engine was at 6700rpms at said half power.  Not sure what to make of this but the prop is efficient but obviously the wrong prop for my Rotax 582 with b box.  I believe this prop will be perfect for a Rotax 503.  Asking $250 plus shipping.  Less than 1 hour on the prop since new.  Email flyhigh77777@gmail.com or cell 941-780-0559   

Thanks

Bill

IMG_2340.JPG

IMG_2342.JPG

IMG_2343.JPG

IMG_2344.JPG

IMG_2345.JPG

IMG_2346.JPG

IMG_2347.JPG

IMG_2349.JPG

Posted

Nice looking prop! I wish I had something to hang it on. I'm working on something but don't have it yet...

Posted

I had one of those factory original perry props on my Avid B with a 532 engine.  It performed very well.  The 532 was supposed to make the same HP as a 582.  I'm surprised that this prop was under pitched for your 582.  Not arguing with what you said, but what tack did you have?  Here is the Avid B right before I flew it for the first time.  Sure was a fun little airplane.  It weighed 445 lbs and would climb like the proverbial homesick angel.  I would be tempted to try that prop on my Kitfox 1, but I now have the warp drive working pretty good.  JImChuk

new avid first flight 009 (Large).jpg

Posted (edited)

Bill, Jim, et al.  One thing not mentioned is the redrive ratio on either plane/engine - repeating also, that the tach needs checking - Tiny Tach for a back-up?  I forget what redrive ratios are possible with the Rotax engines, but as an example, you cant expect the same performance from a 4.3 that you get from a 2.5 ratio.  You have to match your prop pitch and diameter with the redrive.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

The Perry prop was meant to go on a 2.58 ratio gearbox.  There were 2.0-1, 2.23-1 and 2.58-1 gear ratios for the A and B box.  Actually there were some 3-1 gear sets available but they are very rare.  I don't think he had a set of those, although that would explain it if the prop was way underpitched for his application.  I asked about the tack because so many of these westack tachs were very unreliable.  I agree with you ED on using the tiny tach.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

I'm as dumbfounded about this as everyone else.  Can't confirm the tach is right but I do know my egts went to almost 1300 with anything more then half throttle.  When I researched this the high egts happened from a under loaded engine.   I'm going to test out a gsc prop tomorrow.  I will also double check the gear ratio.   First thing I did was research what gear ratios come in the b box and seen 2.0:1, 2.23:1, and 2.58:1.   Figured that couldn't be the problem but now I see a 3:1 was available in a b box?  The engine is from 1992 I believe so it is around the time the 582 first came out.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by William777

Posted (edited)

I'm as dumbfounded about this as everyone else.  Can't confirm the tach is right but I do know my egts went to almost 1300 with anything more then half throttle.  When I researched this the high egts happened from a under loaded engine.   I'm going to test out a gsc prop tomorrow.  

Thanks

Bill

Bill, look on the redrive and see what ratio you have - post it please.  One nice thing about an adjustable prop is pitch-to-match, but you cant change diameter without new blades!  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I'm as dumbfounded about this as everyone else.  Can't confirm the tach is right but I do know my egts went to almost 1300 with anything more then half throttle.  When I researched this the high egts happened from a under loaded engine.   I'm going to test out a gsc prop tomorrow.  

Thanks

Bill

Bill, look on the redrive and see what ratio you have - post it please.  One nice thing about an adjustable prop is pitch-to-match, but you cant change diameter without new blades!  EDMO

Hi Ed I'll check the gear ratio tomorrow for everyone and report back. 

Thanks

Bill

Posted (edited)

Thanks

Bill

Hi Ed I'll check the gear ratio tomorrow for everyone and report back. 

Thanks

Bill

Bill,  Although I am the least knowledgeable about the 2-smokes,  I think, from what I have read, that you are correct in that the high EGTs are from underloading the engine.  Once again asking, "Where are you located?"  Wondering if you are close to another AFF member.   Have you put your marker on the map for our "Where are you?".      EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

That's the same prop I have on my Avid - with a 582 and a 'B' box.  Seemed to work fine when it was flying.

Mark

Posted

Please get a tiny tach. and verify the RPM.  most analog tachs on the rotax engines seem to be dreamometers much like the speedometers on their sleds..

:BC:

Posted

I personally have never seen a 3-1 b gearbox.  I was told by Steve Beaty from airscrew performance about there having been 3-1 gears made for it.  He did say they were real rare, (maybe just in Europe ???) so that probably is not what you have.  You are right about high EGTs being caused by an under pitched prop.  Lean mixture will do it as well.  JImChuk

Posted

Everyone I checked the gearbox and it stated 2.58:1.  I pulled the plugs and confirmed this.  I'm not running a mechanical tach but a electronic tack that avid used to sell.  I will get a tiny tack as well to double check.  Today I decided to test out a gsc 64" ground adjustable prop and at 19 degrees my static rom was 6000.  I checked gsc website and they have 15.5 degrees for a Rotax 582 with 2.58:1.  What does everyone think of the pitch required on the gsc to achieve 6000 static rpm?  I'm located in Tampa Florida if anyone is close by. 

Thanks

Bill

Posted (edited)

Everyone I checked the gearbox and it stated 2.58:1.  I pulled the plugs and confirmed this.  I'm not running a mechanical tach but a electronic tack that avid used to sell.  I will get a tiny tack as well to double check.  Today I decided to test out a gsc 64" ground adjustable prop and at 19 degrees my static rom was 6000.  I checked gsc website and they have 15.5 degrees for a Rotax 582 with 2.58:1.  What does everyone think of the pitch required on the gsc to achieve 6000 static rpm?  I'm located in Tampa Florida if anyone is close by. 

Thanks

Bill

You didn't say if the 64" GSC was 2 or 3 blade, but disregarding that, I believe most of the GSC props for 582 engines were 3-blade 66" or 68", which would require less pitch than the 64" for the same static rpms.  EDMO 

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Thanks

Bill

You didn't say if the 64" GSC was 2 or 3 blade, but disregarding that, I believe most of the GSC props for 582 engines were 3-blade 66" or 68".  EDMO 

Hi Edmo is was a 2 bladed gsc 64" ground adjustable.  This was sold by avid aircraft when my kit was purchased In1992. 

Bill

Posted

Thanks

Bill

You didn't say if the 64" GSC was 2 or 3 blade, but disregarding that, I believe most of the GSC props for 582 engines were 3-blade 66" or 68".  EDMO 

Hi Edmo is was a 2 bladed gsc 64" ground adjustable.  This was sold by avid aircraft when my kit was purchased In1992. 

Bill

I think that may explain the higher pitch - but until you get a Tiny Tach, you don't really know if your tach is reading accurately.  My 532 came with a 3-blade 68" GSC from Kitfox.  EDMO

Posted

A 2 blade 64" is really not very much prop on a 582.   You really have to put a lot of pitch into it to run it on a 582.  As you have found out.   You might want to check what your jetting is like in the carbs and see if that has any impact on your high EGTs.   Also checking out the tach to see that it's not over reading with your engine/prop combo.    Here is a good source of info on Rotax engines.  http://www.cps-parts.com/catalog/rtxpages/articles.php   Here is the section that deals with tuneing the carbs.  http://www.cps-parts.com/cps/pdf/Part10.pdf      Sorry if this is old news to you,  if not it's valuable info that will maybe keep you out of  the trees ;-).   JImChuk

2 people like this

Posted

A 2 blade 64" is really not very much prop on a 582.   You really have to put a lot of pitch into it to run it on a 582.  As you have found out.   You might want to check what your jetting is like in the carbs and see if that has any impact on your high EGTs.   Also checking out the tach to see that it's not over reading with your engine/prop combo.    Here is a good source of info on Rotax engines.  http://www.cps-parts.com/catalog/rtxpages/articles.php   Here is the section that deals with tuneing the carbs.  http://www.cps-parts.com/cps/pdf/Part10.pdf      Sorry if this is old news to you,  if not it's valuable info that will maybe keep you out of  the trees ;-).   JImChuk

thanks Jim for that info.  I'm not new to 2 strokes as I've had several 447's and 503's but this is my first 582 so it is a bit of a learning curve. 

Bill

Posted

The Peery prop is still for sale as I just spent a small fortune on a 3 blade ground adjustable 1700mm Kiev prop.  

Thanks

Bill

Posted (edited)

Now I have to go find my calculator and figure out what 1700 sillymeters is in Ha-Merican!   Oh, you got a 67" prop... That should work.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

The Peery prop is still for sale as I just spent a small fortune on a 3 blade ground adjustable 1700mm Kiev prop.  

Thanks

Bill

Posted

I was tempted to offer you my near new IVO 3 blade 68", but didn't.  To late now!  ;-)   JImChuk