Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Howdy Boys!

14 posts in this topic

Posted

Howdy boys!

Wyatt here and I'd thought I'd introduce myself. I'm a divorced father of 3 grown boys, 60yr old retired plumber/pipefitter from Shelbyville, IL. Aviation was always a passion. Got my private ticket in '85, but quit flying in '98, accumulating 300hrs. Life can kinda get in the way. Last winter I picked up a basket case Challenger II that a couple of 'ol boys had bent, put 'er back to rights, and have been flying it since June. Love it, a good little airplane! I now have another project, an  '89 Avid Flyer kit. The deal was done Christmas Eve. Merry Christmas to me! I just purchased the airframe, as I would rather have a 582 than the included 532 on the nose. I hope to tap on the wealth of knowledge here to aid me in the build! I'll try not to be a pain, but I know there's gonna be questions. With a whole bunch of pieces and parts, and you guys, I'm gonna build an airplane! If anyone out there is close to Shelbyville , please let me know. Hell, I've never even seen an Avid up close! 

Thanks a lot guys and look forward to it!

Wyatt

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Wyatt,  Welcome to the group - This group is eager to hear any comments or questions you might have, and we love photos of planes or building progress on them, and there is a wealth of knowledge in the members here.   I am 75 with a bum shoulder in Arnold, MO, about 25 miles South of St.Louis, and about 133 miles from you.  Most of what I know about Avids is what I have read on here, but I know some things about the Kitfox (Avid Clone).   Dave0415 has a couple of Avids to build, and he is about the same distance from you in Griggsville, Illinois - I think that is Pike County, about 100 miles North of St.Louis between the Miss. and Illinois Rivers.   We have a member in Indiana too.   Post anything on here and you will get more opinions than you probably need, but we enjoy that.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Welcome Jesse.  Avids are nice airplanes,  have fun building yours.  None of it is really rocket science, and don't be afraid of any of it.  If you have never covered an airplane before, don't worry about it.  Follow the manual, and it will be fine.  Poly fiber is real easy to work with in my opinion.  Feel free to ask any questions you have,  only dumb question is one you don't ask.   JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Welcome aboard Mr.  Grab a seat and fill yer coffee cup and make your self comfortable around here.  As Ed said we love pictures and helping out guys anyway we can to get and keep these birds in the air.

:BC:

Posted

Welcome Wyatt,

As everyone else has already stated, this is a great group with a ton of knowledge. I am not an Avid guru but am an experienced builder and maintainer. I through my opinion out quite often, even if I'm wrong!  You'll soon realize who the typical posters are. Eve though I have only met a few of these guys I consider many of them to be good friends. 

Good luck with your build and post TONS of pictures. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Welcome, you should have a fun build ahead of you. Remember its only a dumb question if you already know the answer.

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks guys!

If you put your finger dead center on the map of Illinois, you'll be within 50mi of Shelbyville. Hey EDMO is there anyway I could get ahold of Dave0415. Griggsville is just west of Springfield. My oldest boy lives in Springfield. I'm thinkin' a trip to Griggsville would be a good one as I could stop 'n see the boy too! I did recover the fuselage and the tail feathers with Poly-Fiber on that Challenger, and it turned out pretty nice. The dope will make ya' goofy though!

wyatt

Posted

A postscript!

Should I come up with a different name or something, instead of my given? Some sort of security thing?

wyatt

Posted

A postscript!

Should I come up with a different name or something, instead of my given? Some sort of security thing?

wyatt

you can use what ever.  Wyatt Illinois or what ever you want to use for your "screen name "  if you have trouble changing it then I can help you out just shoot me a pm or email. 

Posted (edited)

A postscript!

wyatt

you can use what ever.  Wyatt Illinois or what ever you want to use for your "screen name "  if you have trouble changing it then I can help you out just shoot me a pm or email. 

Wyatt, I can send Dave0415 a message to try to contact you by PM (Private Message) on here - If he sends you a message then there should be a "1" appear on the envelope at the top of the screen - click on the envelope to get the message.   I don't know what his schedule is.  I have his phone number, but I never give out phone numbers for other members on here.

But, if you are changing your handle on here I need to know what the new one is first.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I'll try to figure out how to change my "screen name" to 3CW, the tail number on my Challenger and put a picture on too.This is all new to me! I still write checks to pay my bills! 

Posted (edited)

I'll try to figure out how to change my "screen name" to 3CW, the tail number on my Challenger and put a picture on too.This is all new to me! I still write checks to pay my bills! 

Akflyer can help you if you cant change your handle by yourself.  I found this site accidently about 5 years ago and have learned a lot about navigating on here - When I started, I could barely turn the puter on, but the guys on here helped me learn how to do things - heck, I still speak basic "HaMerican", and still don't know a lot, but it has been fun talking to everyone - most may say that I talk too much!  I think your new handle will show up on all your posts as soon as you change it.  When I see that, I will give Dave0415 a notice.  Keep posting.  Oh yeh, I write checks or pay cash too!   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

What are these "checks" you guys speak of?  Haha

IMG_5676.JPG

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I quickly got tired of staring at my cell phone - all it showed was my battery charge and how many bars of contact with the tower, unless some politician called me with an "unknown" number!   I think they should know their number?  Do you get pictures on your phone?  I read that someday there would be moving pictures on phones! ???  Nah!   EDMO

Edited by EDMO