Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

What's an Epic LT?

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Internet news says an Epic LT left Memphis and crashed in Florida killing 2 people - reports sounded like stall / spin?  What kind of plane is this? 

I think these were homebuilts at one time,  and now see one advertised as a 6-passenger turboprop.  ???   I also see that another crashed in Washington - maybe from stall spin too?   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Very very nice plane, I looked at the certified version at the Reno races this year.  I didn't even kick the tires though - I figured even that was too expensive for my budget!

LT was the kit version, E1000 is the certified  version.

http://www.flyingmag.com/aircraft/turboprops/we-fly-epic-lt

Mark

Posted

Just found the article.  With the fog we had in Florida this morning, no way that plane was landing successfully.  Sounds like they lost it on the missed approach.  If they tried it VFR, well, stupid hurts sometimes.

http://www.wesh.com/article/plane-crash-reported-in-port-orange/8540457

Posted (edited)

Thanks Mark - Yes, a $2M kit is at the top of my budget too - Well, about $1.999M over the top!   But money don't buy good piloting decisions!  :BC:  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Reports that pilot had already executed one go around, so the fog may a pretty good bet. I had a friend and wife with a home in Spruce Creek up to a year or so ago, he was not directly on the runway for just this reason.

Posted

The crash was around 6pm, the fog rolled in about 5pm.  LifeFlight helicopters were grounded during this time.  Spruce Creek does have an FAA approved instrument approach, but it isn't published, you have to get it from the homeowners association.  I would be surprised if it was a precision approach, and the weather was way below a non precision approach limits.

Sad, he could have easily gone to Orlando, rented a car, driven an hour, and been there....  Pushing weather seldom turns out well.  I figured that out before I took my first lesson.  I subscribed to an accident newsletter.  Didn't take long to figure out that if I didn't run out of gas, fly in weather I shouldn't, and didn't buzz my friends house, I'd be pretty safe.

Mark

2 people like this