Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Rotax 582 top end rebuild

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey guys just wanting to get some input on top end kits for rotax 582 any input would be greatly appreciated thanks like to hear what you know 

Posted

Myself, If I was changing piston, wristpin, and, or bearing, I would stick with Rotax.  Base gasket wouldn't worry me if it was aftermarket.  What do you really need to do. If you don't score the piston or cylinder, those parts should go for a long time.  Decarboning the piston/rings only should require a new gasket.  JImChuk

Posted

Well back piston is scored my eclip on needle In back carb vibrated and cut off one of he adjustment rings and leaned out back cylinder caught it in time no seizure but burnt the piston and scratched up the cylinder wall a little so was going to put new pistons and rings along with inspecting crank 

Posted

Jim the stock Rotax pistons are unbelievably expensive. I think Justin is looking to do the Seadoo pistons.

Posted

Right you are Joey, Rotax prices are loosely based on what the part would be worth if it was made out of gold.  At least it seems that way.  The last Mk IV I bought had a cold seizure before I got it.  Had the cylinders bored out to next size up, and replaced pistons, wristpins, bearings and rings.  Aftermarket gasket set.  Local shop did the work for me, and I had about $1000 in it when it was done.  They do good work, and seem to be very reasonable in their prices.  Had them go through the Kitfox 1 582 also.   I had them reseal, check and align  crank, and decarbon cylinders cost me $407 using an aftermarket gasket set.  JImChuk

Posted

Jim were is this shop located that did the work for you 

Posted (edited)

Hibbing MN.  They have done quite a few engines for me.  Although, any good snowmobile shop with a good mechanic should be able to do your engine if you don't want to do it yourself.   JImChuk

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

Okay thanks I'm still kinda on the fence about what I should do exactly really just looking for advice 

Posted

Aftermarket Pistons have been good for me(SPI)? Make sure they are two ring and have the hole in the side of the piston as I had a set of these sent out and they required  rejetting and the top bearing clearance was starting to loosen after 150 hrs.Use genuine rotax cageless bearings and pins as most aftermarket sets appear to be caged.

If your cylinders can be honed and still be within the maximum allowable size that's fine(some of our operators hone new engines out to near maximum size,these operators have never had a cold seizure.

The SPI ? pistons I now have are coated on the sides and have a ceramic coating on top which would have to be a bonus.My 582 definatly makes more power with these Pistons,I wouldn't hesitate to use these again.