Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Fuselage Reinforcement

28 posts in this topic

Posted

I think either one is fine in it's  place.  If I was doing the Kitfox 1 though, I would make the door opening as big as later models by removing the one angled tube at the back of the door.  Then adding the steel around the door like I did to widen things would add some strength back into the mix perhaps.  Course then you would need to make new doors however.  I was a carpenter by trade as well, (still a member of Carpenter's union 606, Virginia Mn. ) though now I'm retired for the last 12 years and living the good life.  JImChuk

3 people like this

Posted

Jim I have been looking at everything I can online for beefing up the air frames on the Avid early models.  As you know, mine is an A model and has the aerobat extended wings.    I plan on doing all of the strengthening of my frame that you have.  Did you add larger carry thru tubes or did you just install gusset plates?  Also by and the extensions to the side of the cockpit to widen it, did it add width to the inside for seating or was that just for more shoulder room?

I see a lot of gross weights posted for these little planes and I really don't know which one applies to mine.  I have the aerobat wings with the .083 wall tubing.  It has the 1" struts.  If I add all of the gussets and strengthening that you added, what would my gross weight possibly be?  

Jim

Posted

When I widened my fuselages, it was mainly to get more room.  By adding width to the back bottom of the door, you get more hip room, as well as shoulder room up above.  But if you leave the door shape as is on the A model, of course you wouldn't gain anything for the hip room.  Some have added a strap on the bottom of the lift strut carry through to strengthen that area.  Beefing up the seat truss and the sides above the landing gear will help protect against a hard landing bending things.    I can't really say what the gross weight should be, the lighter duty wings were tested to about 5.5 gs with no issues.  But then it doesn't matter if the wings and such are strong enough, but the landing gear collapses from being overloaded.  There are a lot of things that come into play.  JImChuk