Kitfox 1 More pics

73 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I guess you may have already figured it out, but as my twisty CFL bulbs burn out I am replacing them with LED bulbs when I can find bargains on them at Costco.  Less electric used and hopefully last longer, and the LED bulbs don't seem to care how cold it is, unlike the CFL which don't want to burn if too cold.   Maybe price will be lower by then?  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Built the oil lines today and filled them with oil so far no leaks, First time making AN Hose for me, 

100_1226.JPG

2 people like this

Posted

TJay,  I was looking through your posts to see what you had done for your oil catch bottle.  I thought at one time you had bought an aluminum one off ebay.  I did see the home made one you built near the beginning of this thread, but don't see it mounted on the firewall.  Well I thought I would get a pretty one from ebay myself, and it showed up today.  This is what I got.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170762746629?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT    I had asked them questions about the size of hose fittings, and they said 10 MM.  That seemed ok.  When it showed up, I got looking at the fittings, and where they go into the oil bottle, they are necked down to only 7/32"  diameter.  Real small if a fair amount of blow by is going by.  I would worry about the front oil seal blowing out if the crankcase pressure was to much.  At any rate, I ended up putting my old home made one back in.  I know it worked.   Might fire up the engine by the end of the week.  Waiting on a halls effect sensor for the tach, and an aircleaner.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

Yeah my pretty one is also sitting on the shelf, I made a copy of the  Motion Aero's  I'll use just that one I like the idea of the oil running back into the engine after shut down,  shut down, I don't have it mounted quite yet, could you drill out the holes in your new one?

100_1134.JPG

Edited by TJay

Posted

I built one from their plans, only out of fiberglass, for my 3300 and it works great, mounted over the plenum so the oil runs back. Have my original catch bottle down stream that just catches mostly only moisture now.  I need to make one for the Avid

Posted

TJay, the piece going down into the can is only about 5/16" in diameter. At best I could only drill it out to 1/4".   The tube coming out of the engine is 3/8" ID.  Big difference, almost twice the volume can go through a 3/8" opening as compared to a 1/4" one.   To each his own, but I'm not sure I like the idea of the oil going back into the engine.  Some real nasty stuff ends up in that bottle.  My engine didn't really go through a lot of oil anyway.  My breather line does go up as high as it can between the engine vent and the catchbottle, that saves some of the oil from getting to the can as well.  That all being said, I'm not really familiar with how the Motion Aero separator works.  I'll look into it.  For now, I have the old bottle mounted and it will stay where it is.   JImChuk

Posted

Built the oil lines today and filled them with oil so far no leaks, First time making AN Hose for me, 

100_1226.JPG

TJay, can you tell me what you used  and where you got them for fittings and sizes of fittings and hoses?  You probably saw my post on the Jabiru engine group about the oil cooler adaptor.  I just put a temporary loop of hose on for now.   I was about ready to start my engine yesterday, but had something wired wrong going to the ignition switch.  Thanks,  JImChuk

Posted

TJay, can you tell me what you used  and where you got them for fittings and sizes of fittings and hoses?  You probably saw my post on the Jabiru engine group about the oil cooler adaptor.  I just put a temporary loop of hose on for now.   I was about ready to start my engine yesterday, but had something wired wrong going to the ignition switch.  Thanks,  JImChuk

My stuff came from Jeggs its the AN-6 Proflex hose Take a look at this website on Page 3 it has a materials list. Mine varies a bit because but not much, I got two 90s and two strait ones,

https://www.sonexaircraft.com/documents/instruction_sheets/Jabiru_Oil_Cooler_Upgrade.pdf

Posted

Thanks TJay.  That will help a bunch.  I've seen where some worried about drilling out the holes in the adaptor sandwich to the larger sized fitting.  Not much material left.   Did that worry you, or did it look ok?  (Got the Jabiru running today)  JImChuk

Posted

Got the actual Russell part # for these fittings, and ordered them on ebay.  About 1/3 less price, and free shipping.  Thanks again for the info.  JImChuk

Posted

Thanks TJay.  That will help a bunch.  I've seen where some worried about drilling out the holes in the adaptor sandwich to the larger sized fitting.  Not much material left.   Did that worry you, or did it look ok?  (Got the Jabiru running today)  JImChuk

No I didn't drill mine out, Thought about it, but wanted to try it this way first,

Posted

finally got some time to work on my gear. Lengthened the slots to match the compressed length of the springs. Now have a full 8 inches of travel at the tires And made some holders for the springs. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have it all back together.

100_1351.JPG

100_1352.JPG

100_1353.JPG

100_1354.JPG

100_1355.JPG

2 people like this

Posted

I have been looking for a good cross slide vise.  How do you like yours?  Reviews are all up and down on the cheaper ones.  I wouldn't mind spending money on a good one but then you have to deal with just how good is your drill press as well.  One day I will be set up to actually get some good metal working tooling!

Parts are looking good and I am pretty darn sure you will be happy with the extra work you put into them!

:BC:

Posted

I

I have been looking for a good cross slide vise.  How do you like yours?  Reviews are all up and down on the cheaper ones.  I wouldn't mind spending money on a good one but then you have to deal with just how good is your drill press as well.  One day I will be set up to actually get some good metal working tooling!

Parts are looking good and I am pretty darn sure you will be happy with the extra work you put into them!

it works good for drilling holes but not for milling ha thats what the clamps are on the sides for. Holds it a bit tighter.

If I ever buy a new one it will be more than 60 dollars.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I

it works good for drilling holes but not for milling ha thats what the clamps are on the sides for. Holds it a bit tighter.

If I ever buy a new one it will be more than 60 dollars.

I may have the only rotary table that can be clamped in a milling machine or drill press vise.  I made it from scratch in my shop in order to keep from removing the 90 lb. vise from the mill when I wanted to use the rotary table.  Rotary tables are $pendy - guess I would sell this for $500 obo plus shipping.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Just looked through this entire post...TJay you have some serious building skills!  Looks fantastic!

Ron

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Some sticker paper an awesome wife with photo shop skills  end up with some bad ass labels.

100_1363.JPG

100_1377.JPG

100_1378.JPG

0407181805.jpg

0407181806.jpg

Edited by TJay
4 people like this

Posted

And there we have it.  I believe it is done. Next stop is the airport.

Started 11-28-2014

Finish   04-07-2018

100_1365.JPG

6 people like this

Posted

Wow!  that is really nice.  I really like the labels.  Looks way better than the ones I made with the Walmart label maker.   JImChuk

2 people like this

Posted

Good looking bird for sure!  Can't wait for flight reports!

1 person likes this

Posted

Great job TJay! It looks awesome and I'm sure it'll fly just as good as it looks.

Posted

What a beautiful build. Picky DAR might require an 'On' sticker over the switches. Based on your attention to detail it probably isn't necessary but here's hoping for no major squawks. Hope you find lots of time to enjoy!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

finally got a day off to work on it. had a passage way plugged so tight in the carb she wouldn't even run. Took that off and gave it a total cleaning now she runs great. found a small oil leak so I made a new gasket with some fel-pro gasket material.  Got it all lined up today as well seems to run straight down the run way. Brakes are absolutely horrible ha not sure what to do bout that yet.  but What a good feeling to finally get to taxi it around after all these years of working .

0505180958_resized.jpg

Edited by TJay
2 people like this