Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Ameri-King ELTs

9 posts in this topic

Posted

The new project has an AK-450 already mounted with the remote unit in the panel. Missing the whip antenna and coax though. While looking for one online I found some news articles where Ameri-King lost their certification and were issued a cease and desist order by the Feds. Guessing that this elt is junk now? It would explain why I couldn't find any parts for it. I am not wanting to spend a ton of money on this plane till after phase 1 and I know what my plans are for it. Anybody have an ELT whip antenna laying around? 

Posted (edited)

Joey,  I will have to look to see if I have one when we finish this Ice storm next week - You don't need one for phase 1, but guess it might make you feel safer?  I have a new ELT, but not sending you that antenna.   The 450 is no longer approved for new installations, but used to be OK if already in a registered plane - just the 451 for the Satellite is now approved for new registrations.   Now I have to see if I have a new model ACK or Ameri.   I know I bought the cheaper one..   BTW:  They no longer use the cheap D batteries, so you got to buy a lithium every 2.5 years to be current.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

https://www.faa.gov/aircraft/safety/programs/sups/upn/media/2016/UPN_2016-2013NM460018.pdf

Looks like maybe they just recommend you inspect them more often? Can anyone translate this document? Seems that since nothing is certified in our E-ABs that maybe we are okay?

There is an FAR on ELTs that you have to comply with if you fly more than 25 or 50? miles from takeoff point, Just like our birds have to comply with an FAR for equipment for night flights.   I haven't read what you posted yet.   EDMO

Well, I read it, and guess you have to call FAA for an explanation - Sounds like it may be politics if everything made or installed before that date is still approved.   Also, I don't think E-AB planes are "Type Certified" since there is no TCSD for them.   All that withstanding,  the 450 wont get you help as quick (or at all?) or locate you as good as the new 451.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

That's a whole another discussion Ed. I just don't want the DAR to have something to ask additional questions about. I'd trust my SPOT or my cell phone to get me help before a 121.5 elt. Looking at my pile of stuff I think I found the antenna. 

1 person likes this

Posted

The new project has an AK-450 already mounted with the remote unit in the panel. Missing the whip antenna and coax though. While looking for one online I found some news articles where Ameri-King lost their certification and were issued a cease and desist order by the Feds. Guessing that this elt is junk now? It would explain why I couldn't find any parts for it. I am not wanting to spend a ton of money on this plane till after phase 1 and I know what my plans are for it. Anybody have an ELT whip antenna laying around? 

I don't have a whip one but I think I do have one that pops right into the 450 its made so you can remove the elt and walk with it, It would work fine in the plane, let me know if you want it.

Posted (edited)

That's a whole another discussion Ed. I just don't want the DAR to have something to ask additional questions about. I'd trust my SPOT or my cell phone to get me help before a 121.5 elt. Looking at my pile of stuff I think I found the antenna. 

Two things:  Are you registering this with an old N-number, or is this a new registration N-number?  The old ELT is legal if it was installed before in a registered plane, but as a new registration I don't think the 450 is legal, but none is required in Phase 1; so if none is required, then is it illegal to have an old model in the plane?  Ask the DAR.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

That FAA warning was for new, bad production stock, Joey. Your old install is surely fine. For the antenna, any bnc coax will do:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2ft-CablesOnline-RG8x-Coax-BNC-Male-Male-Plug-50-ohm-Antenna-Cable-R-BX002-/291130848270?hash=item43c8c0340e:g:28wAAOSwuAVWznhe

and here is an Ebay cheap ELT antenna:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/272504839565?vectorid=229466&lgeo=1&item=272504839565&rmvSB=true

Posted

Thanks Nick! I looked at that same antenna a little bit ago and wondered if it would work. Looking at this pic I think I have the antenna and coax on my pile. I have the same elt in my plane but it has a small whip antenna that I mounted inside the fuse. 

IMG_5964.PNG