Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Final rigging?

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Ok a couple questions

I am getting ready to do final flaperon rigging here, I have read D-Hollys Kitfox 3 rigging, thank you for that,

First question is you level the underside of the fuselage as described manual correct? Not the wing?

Second question is that 1" reference in CF18 Just a number to get close? Reason I ask is when setting them just out board of the wing strut at 1" below front spar, I am at  +1 Degree, I read alot of guys setting them at -3 degree to get there I need to have 1 13/16 below front spar,

Third question when I get the flaps set, lets say flap handle forward, flaperon -3 Degree, then pull full flaps and make a stop at +15 degree, Correct,

Keep in mind I have F7A arms installed and 1/2 twist in wings, 

Posted

I would not start off flying the plane with a negative flap angle.  My earliest Avid got quite squirrely when the flaperons were in a reflex (negative) position.  My advice is start flying with flaperons at 0 degrees.  Have the setting there if you want, but don't use it right away.   I don't have the info handy that you are referring to, but basically what you want is for the flaperons to go up and down an equal amount, and to have the stick centered when both flaperons are at the same angle.  Steve Winder from Avid recommended clamping a stick on each flaperon that stuck out the back 2' or so.  with the joystick all the way to the right, measure from end of the stick to the floor on each side.  Then with the joystick all the way to the left take measurements again to the floor.  If you have the same measurement up and down on both sides, you are set right.  Reason for the long sticks, is it exaggerates the dimentions  so it's easier to see what progress you are making as you adjust them.  Hope that makes sense, and is kind of what you were asking about.  One last point, if you have to much flaporon angle, you will start to get control reversal.  Maybe at 15 degrees you are ok, but be careful when you try it the first time.  JImChuk

Posted

Need some other opinions here the book says to level the fuselage for doing the board deal to set the flaperon 1 inch below the front spar, Ok but now that everyone is using digital levels should I be leveling the wing instead? When the bottom of the fuselage  is level the front spar of the wing at the root end is 1/2 inch lower than the trailing edge of the wing, Or is this how the under-camber wing flies?

Posted (edited)

Need some other opinions here the book says to level the fuselage for doing the board deal to set the flaperon 1 inch below the front spar, Ok but now that everyone is using digital levels should I be leveling the wing instead? When the bottom of the fuselage  is level the front spar of the wing at the root end is 1/2 inch lower than the trailing edge of the wing, Or is this how the under-camber wing flies?

TJay,  All I can tell you is that as the models changed, the incidence of the wings changed - I think some made the tail fly higher, but probably didn't make a difference as to where the flaperons were located.  Guess all you can do is go by the book unless someone says different.  One of the books talks about a 55 degree angle of the hangers, but from where?  You want to make sure the flaperons clear the fuselage when folding them.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

All parts are rigged in relation to the wings.  With a smart level the plane doesn't need to be level but it does make the job much easier.  You don't need to do a bunch of math to make sure all the other parts on the plane are rigged according to the book.  If you rig it with some different numbers all the parts won't be going the same direction in flight and you will have a terrible flying plane. 

Posted (edited)

I leveled the fuselage for rigging and and set mine at 1.25"" and it worked real nice right out of the gate (though the leveling doesn't really matter for this particular measurement, just a measurement relative to the font spar - I shot mine with a laser against a scale off the front spar).  You can dial things in with the flap lever once you start flying. My final setting after flying a bit was right about 1.0".

Edited by LSaupe

Posted (edited)

Also, for what its worth... make sure your aileron bellcrank is on correctly.  I had mine on backwards for a long time before I noticed it.  Functioned just fine (as far as clear travel and range of motion), though opposite control.  The visual on the flaperon is different than an aileron.  I was looking for things to go up when I point the stick that way, and they sure did (just the leading edge vice the trailing edge).  Glad I finally caught it before the first flight.  Several folks had looked at it prior, and like myself, it didn't trigger as incorrect.  Really gave me a pit in my stomach when I saw it.

Edited by LSaupe
1 person likes this