Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

New BeLite 2 place

38 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey I like that aluminum wing is that like a honeycomb wing rib like Bd-4 uses I love that airplane and just my opinion here but I do think if kitfox would go away from the wood wing ribs the plane would be more appealing to builders,

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Hey I like that aluminum wing is that like a honeycomb wing rib like Bd-4 uses I love that airplane and just my opinion here but I do think if kitfox would go away from the wood wing ribs the plane would be more appealing to builders,

Wood ribs are fairly easy to make at home, but few people want the effort of making forming dies and aluminum ribs - Of course, the aluminum ribs would probably cost more from Kitfox, but all of their kit prices have gone up over the years.   Honeycomb aluminum laminate is not cheap.     Didn't the BeLite start as a modified Kitfox 1 ?  I have a bare fuselage if someone wants to build one.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

If it's free It's for me hahahaa.

Posted (edited)

If it's free It's for me hahahaa.

Not free, but cheap - and I don't ship!  Bring truck or trailer...  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Haha I was kidding. There's a Rans s6 someone told me about for cheeeaaap . Just not sure I wanna build anything right now. I have enough going on between my avid and cutlass 

Posted

The Belite / Kitfox 1 don't compare with a Rans S6.  Wish I had one.  EDMO

Posted

One down here for a grand . Never finished but the wings look bad from being built and never covered 

Posted

One down here for a grand . Never finished but the wings look bad from being built and never covered 

Sounds like a bargain.   I don't have any more project room - Hell, I am getting so old and crippled that I need help just to mount an LED shop light on the ceiling of the garage for the wife - and there is no help around!   Going to pass my projects on to some younger guy someday!   Maybe sooner than I thought?   EDMO

Posted

I hear of good deals but whenever they're around I don't have the cash for them . I guess that's what happens when you have a wife and 2 daughters haha. Either way I enjoy finding people good deals . I think I'm even the youngest at the airport . (36)

Posted

I hear of good deals but whenever they're around I don't have the cash for them . I guess that's what happens when you have a wife and 2 daughters haha. Either way I enjoy finding people good deals . I think I'm even the youngest at the airport . (36)

Wait until you retire, and prices keep going up while your income goes down!  Ha!  I wanted to get my struts welded this fall, but my 80-year-old flying buddy said he didn't think the two of us could move the fuselage and mount the wings without help - and they have all died or in a nursing home now!   I've got almost 40 years on you, Bud - enjoy it while you can!   EdMO

Posted

I'm trying to enjoy it but so far my left side has had 5 surgeries alone and counting . In 40 years I'll be happy to just be able to walk.

Posted

I'm trying to enjoy it but so far my left side has had 5 surgeries alone and counting . In 40 years I'll be happy to just be able to walk.

I've had a few of those - one scar across my diaphragm is over half as long as my belt.... EdMO

Posted

I've dodged that stuff so far . Came close being impaled by a handlebar coming up short on a ramp . Mostly limbs and my head took the abuse .

Posted

My opinion:   Your body keeps telling your brain that it is getting old - The problem is, that your brain don't want to listen!   EDMO

Posted

You're exactly right on that . I'll never grow up that's for sure .

2 people like this

Posted

I think the Belite came from the kitfox lite. About the same as a Skyraider 1, except it had flaperons like the kitfox. 

Posted

I think the Belite came from the kitfox lite. About the same as a Skyraider 1, except it had flaperons like the kitfox. 

If it did come from the Kitfox Lite it was sure a crazy adaptation. The Belite is all aluminum angles. I suppose it could have been copied from the tube and fabric version but it sure doesn't look anything like the lite to me. If you really look at it, the Kitfox lite could be said to have been an adaptation of the cub as well. Almost everything in aviation especially light aircraft, is a copy of something else it seems. 

Personally I think if given the choice I'd take the Kitfox lite since it is actually tube. Something about the very thin aluminum doesn't yell durable to me. Not that it can't be, but I just trust tubing more. It just feels more robust. This coming from someone that owns a completely aluminum aircraft, a complete wood aircraft and is building a tube and fabric one now. 

I like what Belite is doing, don't get me wrong. If I had the chance I'd fly one too. Just would like to see one up close before ordering a kit for one. 

Posted (edited)

Kenneth,  This new version is different, with all the sheet metal, but the original BeLite was light tube just like the Kitfox 1, only built for lightness with a very small engine and a one-seater.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Kenneth,  This new version is different, with all the sheet metal, but the original BeLite was light tube just like the Kitfox 1, only built for lightness with a very small engine and a one-seater.   EDMO

That's good to know. I never saw one that was tube and thought it was always aluminum. 

Posted

FWIW, I do know that Belite sold some Kitfox jigs and tooling awhile back. I remember receiving the email from them saying that it was to be listed on Ebay. I followed Belite closely for 1-2 years before deciding that I wanted something more than an ultralight. The fact that they will be offering a two-place aircraft may recapture some of my attention. I appreciate the fresh perspective that James brings to the table in regards to materials while keeping it friendly for the average DIY builder. On the other hand, I deeply respect the history and track record behind both, Kitfox and Avid. Then there is also the flaps or flaperon consideration. I look forward to learning more about this new offering from Belite. In the end, it is up to them to sell us on it.

1 person likes this

Posted

The honeycomb aluminum cabin frame looks interesting.

Posted (edited)

The Air Force C5, and probably others, used honeycomb aluminum for a floor - I held a piece of it about 4 foot square in one hand, and it was very light.  I don't know how it would be attached to a tubing fuselage except using it as a cabin or baggage floor.   Probably very expensive.   I bought aluminum honeycomb sign material to protect my basement windows from lawnmower debris but it has silicone between the sheets instead of aluminum.   EDMO 

Edited by EDMO

Posted

When the Belite first came out as a factory built ultralite the price tag was $50,000 if I remember right. 

Posted (edited)

When the Belite first came out as a factory built ultralite the price tag was $50,000 if I remember right. 

I forget if the original Belite kit price was about $10K or more - it was in some of the plane mags in the ads at back of mag.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO